Chapter 6

After the last few weeks had been rather unspectacular, Lysanna was now facing the two most interesting weeks of her settling-in. She got on well with her colleagues now, except for Lockhart, who still didn't want to understand that she was clearly not interested in him, and Snape, with whom she hadn't exchanged another word since the night's meeting, although he was sitting alongside her at the teachers' table every day.

But first she would have to endure Lockhart and his over-the-top behaviour for a week. The thought of just silencing him with a little spell made her laugh, promptly earning a reproachful look from her aunt, who seemed to know what was going on in Lysanna's head.

The two of them were at breakfast before everyone else today, so there was at least a small moment of peace until...

"Good morning everyone!" exclaimed Lockhart theatrically, moving quickly toward the teachers' table.

Unfortunately, there was still a seat left next to Lysanna, as Professor Snape, who usually sat there, hadn't turned up yet for some reason. Normally he was always one of the first in the morning and one of the last in the evening.

Just in the moment as Gilderoy Lockhart was about to place his hand on the vacant chair next to Lysanna to sit down, the small door that lead directly into a small stairwell flew open and out came, his cloak billowing behind him, Professor Snape. Lysanna didn't know if she'd ever been so glad to see him as she was at this very moment.

"There's no need for you to adjust the chair for me, Gilderoy! You're welcome to take your place now." Snape hissed, almost whispering, but his deep voice couldn't be overheard.

Lockhart stared at him petrified as he grimly snatched the chair Lockhart's hand was about to touch. Smirking, but quite impressed by Snape's surprising appearance, Lysanna eyed the two professors. Madame Hooch, who was sitting next to Hagrid a few seats down, gave her a surprised grin. Lysanna had developed a close bond with the tough flight instructor during the week in Rolanda's classes and quickly realised that she, as probably the only female member of the staff, apart from Lysanna herself, was not impressed by Lockhart's demeanour.

-

It filled Severus with a strange inner satisfaction at having achieved this small triumph against the great famous Gilderoy Lockhart. Fear was written all over this jerk's face when he rebuked him. Lysanna hadn't said a word, but Severus was sure that she was very grateful for this literal last second rescue. Anyway, the looks she'd exchanged with Hooch had spoken volumes.

He had thought a lot about the young witch, too much if he was being honest. And it was difficult for him to deny to himself that she had held a certain fascination for him since that one night's meeting. The way she observed, her gaze that seemed to take in every little detail, the elegant movements, the admittedly rather understated clothing and that beguiling scent that couldn't get out of his nose since the little incident in the hallway. The scent of a wildflower-strewn forest clearing after a light rain shower, mixed with a hint of bergamot and the last hint of the smoky whiskey she'd apparently been drinking just before their rather unplanned meeting. He had never smelled anything quite like it. And again and again he inevitably had to think of her eyes, which had fixed him the way a cat looks at its prey.

Breakfast was distracting him at least a little from his thoughts about her, although the fact that she was sitting only inches away from him didn't really help.

It was now the beginning of October, the hills around the castle were colored with autumn leaves and he really hoped that the time until the Christmas holidays would pass quickly so that he could finally find some rest and regain control of his thoughts . Then it would just be him and his memories of Lily again.

-

Lysanna had let Rolanda in on her plan. The coming week with Lockhart would either end in a gagged and bound Professor Lockhart, or... no, actually that was the only conceivable solution, unless Lysanna's plan worked out. She had consciously hid herself in her chambers last weekend in order to give the impression that she had gone away. This was Theodor's last big performance.

On Lysanna's command, Rolanda would get up and engage them first in a noncommittal conversation about the past week, then once they had Lockhart's attention, the all-important question would come.

As Rolanda walked around the table towards her, Lysanna's heartbeat increased. Her plan simply had to work.

"Lysanna, could I talk to you for a moment?" Rolanda asked just as planned. Lysanna nodded, got up and the two moved away from the table a bit. After all, they had to make sure they would get Lockhart's attention.

Engrossed in her plan, Lysanna didn't realise that Lockhart wasn't the only one whose attention she had caught.

-

"Yes, thank you! That's how I see it too. How was the weekend at home in London? Theodor must have been very happy to see you again." Rolanda asked so loudly that probably everyone in the hall could have heard it.

Theodore. The name repeated in his head like a never-ending echo. Of course. Everything made sense now.

"It was wonderful to be home again, if only for the weekend. But we can finally spend some more time together during the holidays. I am so glad that in him I have found a man who truly understands my situation. ' Lysanna replied, the words falling a little too fluently from her lips. But that could also just be his imagination.

He felt anger slowly boiling up inside him, anger at himself and his own stupidity. Yes, he had indulged in the thought of getting closer to Lysanna, had pondered why she had piqued his interest, but now he hated himself for wasting his precious mind, his thoughts, on a woman who already promised herself to another man. It had been beyond foolish of him to think that just because she had defied him and not immediately fled, she might actually be interested in him. A fool he was, an imbecile dunderhead.

The only thing that stopped him from fleeing the great hall at that moment was Lockhart's face, which seemed to shatter into a thousand pieces as he heard Lysanna's words.