Chapter 25

Lysanna entered Hogwarts with mixed emotions. Classes would continue tomorrow and it was already late when Lysanna entered her chambers in the evening. She had taken her time leaving her parents, somehow it felt strange to come back now that it was clear she would only be here for a few more weeks. Nevertheless, it still felt like coming home, she really felt comfortable here and was already missing her chambers just by thinking about it, but her decision was made. She would return to the Ministry of Magic when the term was over, just as planned. With a heavy heart, she collapsed into the soft armchair and then just sat there for a few minutes, staring blankly at the empty fireplace. She made a mental note to speak to Dumbledore first thing in the morning.

Lysanna had missed dinner already, like I said, it was late, but maybe paying Severus a visit still wasn't such a bad idea. She had really missed him and was already looking forward to seeing him. The thought of him immediately evoked that pleasant, exciting tingling sensation in her. Though the thought of the conversation that was still to come spoiled her joy somewhat.

-

Severus had been waiting anxiously all day for Lysanna to finally come back. Despite all the uncertainty, he had missed her more than just a little. Having her around had been one of the most beautiful experiences he had had in those recent years. And the longer he thought about it, the stronger this initial infatuation grew. He even had to admit to himself that it was more than infatuation that he felt for her. She was important to him. Very important, in fact, and it felt like she could finally give him what he had been longing for all his life. Affection and unconditional love. He kept those thoughts hidden as best as he could, afraid to lose himself in them and read too much into it, all just because he was so dying for it.

After Lysanna hasn't attended dinner either, Severus decided to just pay her a visit. He wanted to see her, missed her and before Minerva would actually talk to Lysanna, he had to get through this conversation himself. As soon as possible. The thought of standing face to face with Lysanna again, looking into her charming eyes and having to tell her what he was, filled him with uneasiness and fear. He was very much looking forward to her, but already mentally preparing himself for the impending rejection, which was much likely to hit him hard. Even if he already suspected what could happen, it wouldn't help much in the end, because even he couldn't prepare himself for such feelings.

His heart was bursting with excitement as he arrived at Lysanna's door and knocked hesitantly. This mixture of joy, infatuation and fear almost drove him insane.

When Lysanna cautiously opened the door, joy prevailed at first as she looked into the familiar dark eyes. Her heartbeat immediately quickened until she realised that he had probably come to get an answer to the question that had bothered them both for so long.

"Severus, nice to see you," she greeted him kindly, wishing that she could have just hugged him straight away, just pulled him close, but she held back. The worst was still ahead of her.

"So you are back," Severus stated as he entered the room. As always, his facial expression was stern and gave no indication of what was happening behind those dark eyes. Lysanna eyed him a little unsure. He seemed tense.

"Would you like to sit down? A glass of wine maybe? I think we should talk about everything in peace." Lysanna took the first step towards the conversation they were bound to have. She was excited, already frantically searching for the right words to explain it best without hurting him. Because that's what she wanted to avoid, he'd already experienced enough suffering and rejection.

Seeing her broke his heart. Although they hadn't parted on the best of terms, Lysanna was friendly and seemed happy to see him. Her bright eyes and that sweet smile that graced her face as she opened the door couldn't lie. He had to tell her no matter how hard it would be. He had to do it today before she would say anything. She deserved it.