Chapter 7

Minerva had picked her up after finding out about the commotion in one of the corridors. Lysanna hurried along the corridors behind her aunt at a brisk pace.

So far, Lysanna only knew that something terrible had happened. Minerva hadn't given her any time for questions though. The thought that anything had happened at Hogwarts made Lysanna very uneasy, Hogwarts being a school full of children after all. On the other hand, "something terrible" could simply mean that a student accidentally cast a spell they hadn't mastered yet. It was probably best not to worry or panic until Lysanna knew exactly what had happened.

When Lysanna arrived at the scene with Minerva and Albus, the other teachers and the caretaker, Mr. Filch, were already there. They had found Mrs Norris, Filch's cat. Petrified. Unfortunately, the animal was found by Harry Potter and his two friends, Ron and Hermione. Lysanna already knew that suspicion would fall on the three of them immediately. She eyed the three sceptically, who stood there with shocked faces and could hardly take their eyes off the petrified cat. Honestly, Lysanna didn't believe that the three of them were responsible for what happened here. Someone who has just petrified a cat does not stare at it with such horror in their eyes. The situation was just too absurd.

On the wall was written in large red letters:

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED.

The paint, actually it was blood and not paint, was still wet. Lysanna's breath hitched for a moment. After all, she was still in a school here. Of course, she had heard some stories about Hogwarts before, but petrified cats and blood-smeared walls were way beyond her imagination. Lysanna didn't even want to think about whose blood that might be at that moment.

The cat hung stiffly, head down, from a candlestick. Poor animal, Lysanna thought, even though she'd found the caretaker and his cat strange from the start. The old caretaker had been very odd during her own school days, but apparently his behaviour got worse with each passing year.

"How unfortunate I wasn't there. I would have known just the right spell to save her from that fate," purred Lockhart, giving Lysanna a slight wink. He just didn't want to understand. Professor Snape had nothing left for him, but a disapproving gaze.

In addition to the teachers, numerous students had gathered inquisitively around the scene to catch a glimpse of the petrified cat. After Dumbledore had sent the students to their common rooms, with the exception of Harry and his friends, Filch immediately began to express his desire for revenge. For him it seemed clear that Harry Potter was responsible for everything. And he was most anxious that the boy should receive justice for petrifying Mrs Norris. The type of punishment that Filch felt was appropriate probably began somewhere between torture and a lifetime sentence in Azkaban.

"Excuse me, Headmaster, but I think Mr. Potter and his friends may just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Though the circumstances are very...suspicious," Snape joined the conversation. Lysanna was surprised that he actually spoke up for the students. The faces of the three students also revealed that they had expected a different reaction.

Snape explained his suspicions by saying that he hadn't seen Harry at dinner, to which Lockhart explained that Harry had been spending the past few hours with him. Lysanna's facial expression glitched momentarily as Lockhart explained that the two had replied to his fan mail. Were there really people sending him letters?!

After Dumbledore was initially able to calm the caretaker, the small gathering was broken up. We would probably all have to be extra cautious in the near future.

The Chamber of Secrets. Apparently created by Salazar Slytherin in the early stages of the school. According to legend, once the chamber was opened, all wizards who were not of pure blood would be cursed. In the eyes of Salazar Slytherin, only pure-blood wizards should be entitled to an education. Lysanna was terrified at the thought that this legend could become reality.