Chapter 3

Almost as excited as she had been on her first day of school, Lysanna had stepped onto platform 9 ¾, where the Hogwarts Express would depart in a few minutes. She made a conscious decision to travel in this way because she had already enjoyed the train journey every time she went to school as a child.

After opening the letter Lysanna had only pondered about it for a few days, before she finally decided to accept the offer and take the job. She had been able to make an agreement with the ministry that she would be released for the coming school year. A great leap of faith that was granted to her, although Theodor had actually tried everything to prevent it. It was definitely worth the triumph when she cleared her desk in the ministry and looked into Theodor's incredulous face. He'd tried to persuade her to stay, professed his love for her countless times, but Lysanna's mind was made up long before this day.

The train was already waiting, excited children were running around everywhere on the platform, parents carrying their luggage behind their children, there was a huge shamble on the overcrowded platform. Lysanna picked up her suitcase, took a last deep breath and boarded the train. Old memories of her school days were immediately awakened and she couldn't help an excited grin. It was a good time back then.

She found an empty compartment in the middle of the train and sat down contentedly in the plushy seats. It was so much quieter in here and through the window she continued to watch the hustle and bustle, lost in her own thoughts. When the train finally began to move slowly, Lysanna felt a pleasing surge of anticipation.

-

Of course Minerva had insisted on picking up her niece personally from the train station. After all, it had been her idea to consider her for the post in the first place. When Albus had received her niece's reply less than a week ago, Minerva was quite surprised to read that Lysanna had actually accepted the offer.

The train rolled into the station, steaming and squeaking loudly. As the doors hissed open, Lysanna was one of the first to step off the train.

"Glad to see you dear!" Minerva greeted her warmly. Her aunt had always been a kind of role model for Lysanna, so she was all the more pleased that it was on her recommendation to consider Lysanna for the teaching position.

Lysanna wrapped her aunt in a tight, warm hug, it took Minerva McGonagall a moment to acquiesce in the warm greeting, but then she returned her niece's hug.

"It feels good to be back," Lysanna stated with a smile. She couldn't wait to see the castle and grounds. She hadn't been here since she graduated.

-

A new school year meant a lot of work. The first few weeks were the worst, as the young brats and rascals had to be taught some manners. But once you had earned their respect, things would calm down a bit again.

A short glimpse out of the small window in his office told him that the train had obviously arrived. The first carriages were already making their way up towards the castle. He fervently hoped that there would be some viable members for his house that year. The young Malfoy boy was a real blessing last year, but this Potter boy, the little celebrity, didn't suit him at all. The vow he had made was now demanding his full potential and almost every day the boy reminded him of Lily. Lily Evans, or Potter, after all she'd taken that smug prat's name. The pain was still deep, meanwhile he had simply given up hope of being able to forget his love for her someday. There was no love for him in this world. Just pain and the vow he'd bought his second chance with from Albus Dumbledore.

-

Minerva had said goodbye to Lysanna at the entrance to the castle, as there was still work to be done. She had confidently entrusted Rubeus Hagrid with the task of bringing Lysanna and her luggage safely to the chambers that had already been prepared for them. Lysanna was amazed when Hagrid opened the door. A cosy room in a corner of the castle, with windows on all sides, housing a cosy fireplace and tons of filled bookshelves. In the middle was an inviting couch that just seemed to be waiting for you to grab one of the books and sit on it.

Hagrid brought the luggage inside and then said goodbye, leaving Lysanna alone in the large room.

With a skilled flick of her wand, she first kindled a fire in the fireplace and then devoted herself to her other rooms. From the large living room two more rooms led off. A bathroom with bath and shower, and a bedroom with a large four-poster bed. The mattress looked incredibly soft and comfy, Lysanna couldn't wait to spend the first night in her new home and was already feeling very comfortable.

So far she hasn't regretted her decision for a second.

Before the start of term festivities would begin in the evening, Lysanna wanted to introduce herself personally to the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore.

She knew the way to his office only too well, but unfortunately she didn't know the password that the gargoyle wanted to hear, before it would let her in. For a while she stood a little helplessly in front of the locked entrance, until the stairs opened up and a middle-aged woman with short grey hair stepped out.

She looked at Lysanna a bit surprised.

"You must be the new one," the woman stated.

"Yes. Lysanna McGonagall," Lysanna introduced herself, a little insecurely.

"Pleasure! Rolanda Hooch!", the woman stretched out her hand to Lysanna.

"You wouldn't happen to tell me the password?" Lysanna asked smiling after shaking Mrs. Hooch's hand.

"Oh, of course! Marzipan cake. I hope you had a safe journey.", the woman said goodbye to Lysanna..

So that was the first colleague, Lysanna thought before telling the gargoyle the password.

"Come in!" sounded Albus Dumbledore's friendly voice and Lysanna slowly opened the door.

"Miss McGonagall, glad you found your way to us!" Lysanna was immediately greeted by the old wizard.

"It is my pleasure. Thanks for letting me be here.", Lysanna answered kindly. She felt comfortable, almost as if it had never been otherwise.

"We may thank you for accepting our invitation, Lysanna. Admittedly, Minerva and I were more than surprised when your acceptance fluttered in," Dumbledore countered, and offered Lysanna to sit down.

"Let's just say the offer came at exactly the right time.", Lysanna answered with a smile, but wanted to leave it without any more explanation for now.

The two chatted for a while more about Lysanna's subject and the work at the Ministry, before the clock signalled that it was time to go to the great hall. It was now time to greet the new first year students and sort them into their houses.

"Would you please assist me Lysanna?" asked Dumbledore, holding out the Sorting Hat to her. Somewhat surprised, Lysanna took the old hat from him and it immediately began to speak:

"Oh ho, who do we have here? I remember you. Wait! Don't say anything. A McGonagall, so so...mhm..definitely Gryffindor, no doubts. What was your name again.. L.. Lysanna! I've got it now. Lysanna McGonagall, year of 1975, was it?"

Lysanna nodded approvingly, amazing the Hat still remembered that after all these years. In the past, her classmates had often referred to her as "the perfect Gryffindor" as the colours of this house had suited her so perfectly, with her coppery blonde hair shimmering like liquid gold in the right light. Nevertheless, Lysanna had never prided herself on her appearance, yes she was pretty, but she had other abilities and she definitely didn't like being reduced to just her appearance. Of course, she still enjoyed the gazes that many men gave her, but usually she didn't respond to them.