Chapter 28

Today was the day. The final Quidditch game of the season. Gryffindor versus Slytherin, it couldn't have been more dramatic. Not only was the whole school gathered in the stands of the Quidditch pitch, but there were also some members of the press and members of the school board present. Lysanna had secured an empty seat next to her aunt, who of course would sit in the Gryffindor ranks to support her team. Minerva was crazy about Quidditch. Admittedly, all this hustle and bustle wasn't exactly Lysanna's world. She had loved playing as a Chaser on the Gryffindor team when she was in school, but to be honest, she couldn't remember a game that was as well attended as this one was today. But maybe she just hadn't really noticed it from the field.

However, on the way to her seat, Lysanna met someone she really wouldn't have wanted to meet. Lucius Malfoy. Of course he had insisted on seeing his son personally playing as the new Seeker of the Slytherin team and so it happened that he and Severus of all people stood in the middle of the path that Lysanna now had to take. She would have loved to have just turned around, but it was obviously too late for that, as she had already been seen by Malfoy. It was a mixture of uneasiness and anger brewing inside her as she approached the two men.

"Lysanna! What a pleasure to see you again. You look lovely, as always, doesn't she, Severus?" Lucius greeted Lysanna with his fake over-the-top kindness when she finally made her way through the crowd. Severus didn't answer, his expression just as blank as ever.

"Lucius. You're here for your son, I assume?" Lysanna replied coolly.

"Of course. I don't want to miss out on a win against Gryffindor. What does Gryffindor want with this Potter anyway." he replied snidely. Lysanna felt Severus' dark eyes fix on her, it made her nervous.

"It's a shame you're leaving school again. I was just getting used to it. I hope it wasn't the basilisk that scared you away." Lucius' voice held more contempt than anything else. He tried to provoke her and had a triumphant grin on his face. But Lysanna wouldn't make it that easy for him.

"Oh no Lucius. Do not worry. Besides, the beast is long dead, just imagine it had been a student slaying the basilisk...if I remember correctly, it was Potter." Lysanna replied with a smug grin.

Lucius was clearly surprised by her answer, as it took him a moment to think of an appropriate reply. Lysanna caught the faint grin on Severus' face as he saw Lucius speechless. He stayed out of this conversation, but Lysanna had not expected this reaction. Which side was he on? Lucius was a Death Eater himself and after seeing the two of them together she realised a lot. So that's why they knew each other. But if that was true, and Severus was still in contact with other Death Eaters, how could he not be a Death Eater himself anymore. No matter how long Lysanna thought about it, it just didn't make sense. Admittedly, Severus' ability to keep his thoughts to himself was of little help in this regard.

"I'm sure you're looking forward to your return to the Ministry. If you have any problems with your new colleagues, just let me know. As you know, I have the necessary connections into the upper floors in order to arrange for appropriate personnel changes. Of course, I would do everything in my power for someone like you." Lucius purred with irony that couldn't be more exaggerated. Lysanna was about sure that he would also use these relationships to bring about personnel changes concerning her person, should she ever become dangerous to him again. The warning he had given her with the snakes had definitely been enough to make Lysanna very cautious about him. It was a tightrope walk that would either end in a deep fall or in reaching the summit.

"That's too generous Lucius. But you should be aware that sudden changes like this are likely to draw the attention of my department. I'd be careful if I were you, but whom am I telling that to? Now if you will excuse me, Gryffindor has a match to win," Lysanna added with a sarcastic smile, then pushed through between the two of them. Malfoy was already moving in the opposite direction, but before Lysanna could get past Severus, she felt a hand grip her arm.