Chapter 17

Meanwhile, her third Occlumency lesson with Severus went much better. Lysanna was now pretty good at being in control and at least restricting access to some thoughts, but still far from completely preventing anyone from entering her mind. She enjoyed the lessons and Severus seemed to enjoy his task as well.

"Enough for today Lysanna!" he stated. He enjoyed the time with her, even if they hadn't gotten closer, at least not physically, until now. Although he found it difficult to deny his infatuation by now, it was still hard for him to allow himself to feel these feelings. The fear was just too deep. Amazingly, Lysanna didn't seem too bothered that he needed time. She didn't push him, was incredibly careful with him and showed understanding for his quirks. At times he felt almost silly, but there were things he couldn't put down and didn't want to put down. For example, he would never tolerate students being rebellious or disrespectful. He had his own way of dealing with these good-for-nothing brats, and that meant he occasionally resorted to questionable methods.

There were days when Severus still quarrelled with himself as to whether committing himself to Lysanna was actually the right decision. Not because he didn't trust her. No, she had been able to dispel these doubts completely in the meantime. It was the fear that the past might repeat itself. The rumours that the dark lord was getting stronger didn't stop and if it really came to that, he would face difficult times. He wanted to spare her that, wanted to spare her the sadness and pain that would inevitably come with it. In addition, there was another, not entirely insignificant problem that stood between them. His past as a Death Eater.

"We'll see each other at the Christmas party tonight, right? Please don't leave me alone with Gilderoy!" Lysanna's laughter tore him out of his thoughts. The Christmas party. Yes, he wasn't really in the mood for such festivities, but it would be more than impolite not to show up.

"I thought he was busy?" Severus asked sceptically. He had scarcely given Lockhart a thought since the start of the holidays.

"Well, I was hoping that too, but Minerva told me he announced that he would be coming to the Christmas party," Lysanna explained in an annoyed tone.

He hadn't said a word to Lockhart since the little incident. Severus couldn't imagine that Lockhart would be particularly pleased to see him.

"I will be there. But I don't guarantee that..." he reluctantly agreed to Lysanna's first question.

"Severus!" She interrupted him sternly. They knew each other well enough now to understand what the other meant. Severus would even have gone so far as to call Lysanna a friend, even though she admittedly knew very little about him.

-

The great hall was especially festively decorated for this occasion. Dumbledore definitely made sure to prepare a nice party for the students and also the teachers who spent the holidays here. It was snowing from the ceiling, although the snow never even reached the ground, but vanished into thin air beforehand. Countless candles floated through the hall and a fire crackling loudly burned in the fireplace, radiating a pleasant warmth. Instead of the usual long tables, the great hall was now furnished with a total of five large round tables. One table each for the students of a house and one table for the staff. All the tables were festively set, with heavy golden candlesticks surrounded by fir greenery in the centre of the table. The baubles on the big Christmas trees sparkled in the light of the candles. It was worth staying here for the sight alone, Lysanna thought as she entered the hall through the great door. It was really stunning. For this festive occasion, she had wrapped herself in a long, dark blue dress with flowing, wide sleeves, which not only emphasised the colour of her eyes, but also emphasised her figure with the soft, flowing fabric, without being dressed too excitingly. She liked this dress and it seemed perfect for the occasion. After all, she was still at a school and there were students present.