Billy's Nice Gesture

This chapter is brought to you by The Flu.

Warning: Billy: racist remark ahead

"well look, a happy little family." Billy mocked them as he walked into the kitchen.

"Billy..." Susan was immediately jumpy. She knew she had no way to protect the kids if Billy wanted to cause problems. "What are you doing here?"

"I used to live here, remember?" Billy's eyes landed on Max, specifically the wheelchair. "What the fuck happened to her?"

Max just looked away from Billy, holding Lukas' hand underneath the table.

"Maxine was in an accident..." Susan replied and gestured to an empty chair. "Want to join us?" Susan was only being friendly because she didn't want to make Billy angry. He was known to throw her daughter around in full health. In a wheelchair, Max was totally helpless.

"Well shit, maybe her brain got knocked into place..." Billy made eye contact with Lukas. "No, that can't be it...she's still with the black kid."

"Billy, fuck off!" Max shrieked and squeezed Lukas' hand.

"I plan on it..." Billy reached into his pocket and pulled out an envelope. He threw it at Susan. "Here, so you can afford to keep the little bitch alive."

"Billy, be kind." Susan scolded quietly and picked up the envelope. It was thick with money. "What's this about?"

"Are you fucking deaf?! It's to keep you and the little shit alive." Billy gave them all another hard glance before walking out like it was nothing.

"This can't be good..." Susan eyed Max and Lukas. It looked like a nice gesture in theory, but Susan knew Billy. Something wasn't right.

"He's lucky I'm in a wheelchair, I would of fucking killed him." Max leaned over into Lukas. "I'm sorry about him, Lukas."

"It's okay, not the first time and not the worst thing I've heard." Lukas kissed her cheek. "He's gone now, everything is okay."

"Kelly will be here any second, let's just try to forget that little situation..." Susan put the envelope away and chewed on her finger tips nervously.

"How much money did he just give you?" Max asked curiously.

"Oh, I don't know..." Susan shrugged it off. "We both know there's something behind it..."

A knock on the door made Susan jump up out of her seat. "That sure as hell better be Kelly this time." She ran to the door and opened it. Max didn't need to ask if it was Kelly because she could hear her mom at the door, giggling.

Lukas smiled at Max. "Sounds like your mom's date is here..."

Max nodded and smiled back at Lukas. When her mom brought Kelly to the table, she couldn't help but drop her jaw. Kelly was different than Neil or her father. Not just because she was a woman. Kelly just had a warm glow to her, and she could actually dress herself nicely.

"Hey!" Max shouted excitedly, she couldn't help herself.

"Hello, aren't you the cutest little thing!" Kelly cooed. "You look just like your mother."

Susan pulled out a chair for Kelly and smoothed out some wrinkles in her dress before sitting down again. "This is my daughter Maxine, and her boyfriend Lukas."

Kelly took a seat and shook hands with Max, then Lukas. "Nice to meet you both."

Susan served the meal and everything was going well. The expected questions were exchanged, and Max learned enough about Kelly to satisfy herself. Max was convinced this was a dream come true.