The Worst Day Ever

TW// Mentions of sexual abuse, racism, abuse, gun violence.

This chapter is actually pretty intense when it comes to those things. So, please don't gloss over this warning. I know some of my warnings are just precautions. Just know that this chapter actually contains upsetting mentions and scenes involving these triggers.

Love you, take care of your mental health! There's a summary at the end if you can't read this chapter.

"Are you absolutely sure?" Lukas said while driving around in Hawkins, no real destination in mind.

"Yes, I'm fucking sure!" Max was leaning on the window, chewing on her finger nails. "You don't understand. I could feel him in the house as soon as the door opened. It's like a sixth sense. A survival instinct."

Lukas took her word for it and gripped the steering wheel as he tried to think of a solution. "Okay honey, just try to stay calm if you can. People get released from jail early all the time. I'm sorry, but it happens...they let people out for good behavior to keep the jail from getting overcrowded and shut down."

"So they let out rapists?!" Max wasn't sure what they were about to do. She would break up with Lukas before she would go home and face Neil, or so she thought. That's how much she despised that man. "What the hell am I supposed to do? My mom probably knew, and didn't want to tell me he was getting out."

"I don't know– speaking of, is your mom safe? I mean, it's one thing to let him out but...he should be monitored, and not allowed around you and your mom. Actually, he shouldn't be allowed around kids!" Lukas always did his best to keep Max safe but this was one of the hardest scenarios yet. "Should we call the police?"

Max winced at the image of her mom being hurt by Neil. "I-I don't know...I want my mom."

"Alright, here's what we'll do." Lukas hoped his idea was good enough because he was too scared to think. "We're going to get Hopper, have him keep things from getting ugly. Then you both should stay with a friend. Someone Neil doesn't know about. You and your mom could stay with Kelly."

"Can we just go back and get her now?" Max felt horrible for walking the other way when her mom was potentially in danger. Max knew how much it hurt when her mom let Neil hurt her. "We can call Jane on the way and get her to tell her dad."

Lukas slowed down and turned the car around. He didn't want anything to happen to Susan either. "O-okay just call Jane now."

Max took out her phone and started calling Jane. She wasn't picking up, probably lost her phone again. Max huffed and called Will instead. Hoping he wasn't busy exchanging spit with Nathan.

Will picked up quick, like he could sense that it was urgent. "Hey, what's up?"

Max took a deep breath so she could explain without stuttering. "Neil, he's out of jail. I don't know the context- o-or anything. I need Hopper to come to the house. He's arguing with my mom and he's probably violent."

Will got up and ran to the kitchen right away, looking for Hopper. "A-are you safe?!"

"I'm with Lukas, we left the house. We'll be waiting for Hopper outside though..." Max was silently hoping that Neil didn't get let go. Maybe he escaped. That would mean Hopper would drag his abuse back to the jailhouse.

"Crap, okay. I'll get Hopper over there as fast as I can." Will promised. "Just stay safe, don't go back in by yourselves."

-

Max and Lukas pulled into the driveway. They had no idea of knowing if Neil was still there or not. He had no car to drive anymore, someone must of dropped him off.