First Step To Normal

This chapter is shorter than usual and potentially boring. I'm overwhelmed and busy. Especially with the holidays coming up. I'm also trying to break my bad habit of forcing myself to write a minimum of 1,500 words per every chapter I write. Sorry for the short chapter, although I know you are lovely people and won't mind. :)

"are you excited?" Lukas asked Max while moving her into the car.

"To get my casts off?" Max tilted her head.

"What else would I be talking about?" Lukas teased her.

Max gave him the middle finger before her mom got in the car. "Why would I be excited? I still can't walk."

"You will, now you can finally start physical therapy." Lukas kissed her on the forehead and swiftly put on her seatbelt. "What did we say about safety?"

"You never give me a chance to put it on by myself!" Max huffed before leaning in for a final kiss before Lukas had to get in the backseat. "Mom, can we leave him at the hospital?"

"What for? He's a sweet young man." Susan put on her seatbelt and started the car. "Be nice to him, Max."

"Yeah, be nice to me." Lukas repeated from the backseat.

"Oh, shut up. I love you, Lukas."

-

After the appointment, Lukas still had to lift Max back into the car. He thought things would be better, now that Max had her casts off. Unfortunately things were now more tense. Now it was almost time for Max to start physically pushing herself.

"How does it feel to have legs again?" Lukas asked to lighten the mood while putting on Max's seatbelt.

"I don't know...I can't really feel them..." Max huffed and rubbed her hand down one of her legs. "I would rather shoot myself than go through months of physical therapy."

"You'll do fine." Susan insisted while rubbing her daughter's shoulder. "Let's get out of here."

"Can Lukas come home with us?" Max asked.

"Earlier you wanted to leave the poor boy behind." Susan mentioned with a grin. "I suppose we can keep him longer."

"Does the poor boy get a say?" Lukas wondered sarcastically.

"You don't want to cuddle?" Max gasped and looked back at him as he was getting in. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Lukas started laughing, and Max fell into a fit of giggles. Susan just stared at them, wondering why something so simple was so funny. "Kids these days will laugh at anything."

"Pretty much." Max shrugged and leaned back in her seat. Then she looked back at Lukas again. "You actually want to come over, right?"

"Of course." Lukas assured her. "You know I want to cuddle with you."

"Just cuddling, I hope." Susan shot a quick glance at Lukas.

"Uh, yeah?" Lukas looked away in embarrassment. "Trust me, we aren't doing anything other than cuddling."

"Good, because I'd kill the both of you." Susan teased and looked at Max. "You'd tell me if you were having sex, right?"

"Ew! Mom, stop!" Max turned red and folded in on herself. "Even if I was, it's not your business."

"I just want you to be safe." Susan gave her daughter a look that only a mother could give. A look that said, "I'm worried about you".

"Don't worry, I'm not stupid." Max clarified and hid her cheeks with her hair. "Me and Lukas won't do anything you would of done at my age."

"Maxine!" Susan was shocked by Max's comment. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You told me yourself, you used to be reckless in highschool." Max looked over at her mom. "I didn't mean it to sound rude. I was just joking."

Susan gripped the steering wheel and sighed. "it's fine, darlin'."

"Me and Lukas are going to wait a long time before we do anything like that anyway." Max mumbled under her breath. She was relieved, but couldn't stop herself from feeling unattractive.

-

Lukas had his arm around Max tightly as they laid in her bed together. He was gently playing with her hair as she was nuzzling into his chest.

"What did I do to deserve you, really?" Max asked while looking up at her boyfriend.

"I just love you, is that wrong?" Lukas placed a kiss on her forehead.

"No, but...why? You're always taking care of me like I'm helpless. You don't get anything from this relationship." Max pointed out.

"I do, I can't explain it. Being with you just makes me happy. You're beautiful, funny without even trying, and if you were left alone you would still survive. You're strong, and one hell of a survivor." Lukas stopped playing with her hair and took one of her hands. "You're everything to me."

"You're everything to me too..." Max sighed and squeezed Lukas' hand. "I promise, I'll try to be a better girlfriend. When I can walk again, no more helping me. I want to be independent."

"You're already a great girlfriend." Lukas promised her and pulled her hand up to his face so he could kiss it. "Things are slowly getting better and better. I'm sure by the time you can walk, we'll be thriving."

Max caressed Lukas' face. "I'd like to think that...I'm hoping my mom will be happier soon. Maybe get a new job, maybe she'll marry her girlfriend."

"Do you want her to marry Kelly?" Lukas wondered.

"I don't know...I think she's nice, but I'm nervous." Max moved her hand and rested it on Lukas chest. "I don't want my mom to feel anymore pain. I just want her to be happily ever after."

"Well no matter what, I'll be here." Lukas sat up as his phone started ringing. "That's my mom, she probably needs me at home now."

"Aww, okay." Max sat up slowly.