Buried

When they got back to Max's house, Steve let Lukas go handle things with Max on his own. While Steve sat down to talk to Susan.

Steve took a seat at the table, across from Susan. "So, how much do you think the funeral will cost you?"

"Too much..." Susan mumbled and rubbed her forehead. "He was one hellish boy, but I'll be damned if I don't respect him in death."

Steve nodded slowly, he couldn't afford to fund a funeral either. Especially not for an asshole like Billy. Yet he understood why Susan had complicated feelings about it. "We'll all help you the best we can. You know, you don't HAVE to have a funeral service. It would cut the cost, and it's not like..." Steve paused. "Well, you know...Billy doesn't have many mourners."

"I might skip having the service... He's dead, he won't mind." Susan said sarcastically. "Are the kids getting along again?"

"Yeah, Lukas is gone to make things right..." Steve tapped the table nervously. "You'll never guess what..."

"what? Just tell me, my heart can't take much more." Susan huffed.

Steve cringed before giving the bad news. "Lukas is being bullied...like, severely."

Susan frowned and put down her coffee mug. "Sweet Lukas? Why? he's just a darlin'."

"Yeah...I don't know." Steve chewed on his lip. "So anyway, is Billy being buried?" He changed the subject again.

-

Max sat still, letting her mom style her hair. Lukas was kneeled in front of her, holding her hands. "You're so pretty." Lukas whispered to her.

"Thank you..." Max sighed. Today they were burying Billy. Susan insisted that everyone look their best. "Mom, do I have to go?"

"You should..." Susan reminded her and kissed the top of Max's head. "You'll be okay, darlin'. She's ready Lukas, can you bring her to the car with me?"

"Yup, of course." Lukas helped Susan get Max to the car. He made sure to lift her in gently, and kiss her on the cheek. "I'll be there the entire time. Remember, Steve is taking us out after."

"Yeah..." Max sighed and kissed Lukas'cheek in return. "Your birthday is tomorrow, shouldn't we just wait until then?"

"We can go out two days in a row." Lukas chuckled and got in the backseat. "What am I getting for my birthday?"

"Me." Max rolled her eyes.

"Ooh, just what I wanted." Lukas put on his seat belt. "Buckle up or I'll staple you to the seat."

Susan got in and said, "are you threatening my daughter?"

"Noo..." Lukas laughed.

Susan looked over at Max. "Put on your seatbelt or I'll duct tape you to the seat."

Max put her seat belt on and looked out the window. "Billy was a jerk..."

"I know..." Susan backed out of the driveway. "But we gotta respect human life anyway."

"My mom says that too, but she's religious." Lukas mentioned.

Susan gripped the wheel as she tried to relax. "All life is precious, I suppose...even when they were a bit cruel."

"A bit?" Max scoffed.

"A lot..." Susan corrected. "Just pretend to be sad, and be respectful."

-

After the burial, Steve was supposed to take Max and Lukas to the arcade. Instead Max locked herself in her room and refused to let anyone in. It was a battle to get her out. So Lukas was sitting outside the door, hoping she would change her mind.