The Revelry

a/n: welcome back. this is set in an entirely different world. it isn't like old England or something. if any of u have read Throne of Glass, thats the vibe i want it to give.

I snuck out of the castle. One of the hardest things to do since there's guards everywhere, but I'm a woman of many talents. I touch the mask covering half my face, just to make sure it's sturdy. I then check the knife strapped to my thigh, for emergencies. My friend, June, takes my hand into hers and I look at her with a smile.

"Ready for the best night of your life, Wren?"

"Always," I say, my smile widening to a grin.

Anytime we go to a revelry, she asks me the same question and I answer with the same response. Most of the ones we go to are masquerade balls so no one knows it's the Princess of Maylon in their midst.

We walk into the building and shrug off our coats. I'm wearing one of my older dresses but still beautiful nonetheless. It's a long, dark red, velvet dress with thin straps holding it up. It has a low back and a decorative bow in the back. It hugs my figure in all the right places and then is loose fitting at my mid-thigh. A scandalous dress for a princess.

As I descend down the stairs I watch all the people dance to the music and get drunk off of good wine.

I walk into the crowd and join them.

~~~

June and I have been alternating between dancing with each other and dancing with whatever man catches our eye. We're laughing and tipsy and just having the time of our lives.

I suddenly get that feeling that someone is staring at me and turn around in time to meet the eyes of a man walking down the stairs. He holds my stare as he walks towards me. He looks so familiar but his mask is covering up most of his features.

He stops in front of me, hands behind his back, his friends waiting behind him. He then puts his hand out, "Dance with me."

His grey eyes bore into mine and I glance down at his hand before looking back at his face.

"That doesn't sound like a question," I counter.

A mischievous smile spreads across his lips, "Cause it's not."

I smile back before sliding my hand into his. He pulls me against him, making my heart go wild. And then we dance.

I dance with him and only him for what seems like hours. June has left with a man and two out of three of his friends have also taken women home. The third is off to the side, watching everything.

"I can't know your name?"

I shake my head, a small smile on my lips, "No. Isn't that the point of a masquerade? No one knows who anyone is."

"You like the anonymity," He assumes.

I cock my head to the side, "Well most do, or this building wouldn't be so crowded."

"Hm," He says before spinning me and then bringing me back against him, his chest pressed into my back. His arms lock around my waist, his lips by my ear as we continue to sway to the music. It takes all my self control to not let my head fall against his shoulder.

"What about a nickname?" He asks lowly.

I shake my head, my mouth going dry, "I don't have one."

"Everyone has a nickname."

"My name is too short."

"Mmmm," He hums. The vibrations from his chest hitting my back. He places a kiss on my neck, making my breath catch. I feel him smile before continuing to kiss my neck. His lips are so soft against the sensitive skin.