New York

a/n: PLEASE PLEASE lmk if there's typos

I look out my window at the city below me. New York City is home to me and always has been. I look back at my laptop and sigh.

But writer's block is a bitch.

I go to NYU but still live at home. My parents are super strict so there was no way they were letting me me stay in a dorm. I decided to major in English Literature since my only dream is to be an author. I'm currently working on my book, it's been a work in progress for a year now.

My phone buzzes next to me and I pick it up.

Apollo: come over. i miss tf out of u

I smile. Apollo's my boyfriend. A well kept secret from my parents. I've had one before him and my parents made me break up with him because he was a "distraction." I was a freshmen in high school.

Me: my parents are home

Apollo: never stopped u before

Me: yea but they're being weird tn

Apollo: how?

Me: idk they keep asking me questions. they asked if im interested in anyone

Apollo: oh they're definitely onto us

I can practically hear his sarcasm.

Apollo: ur overthinking babe. now get ur ass over here

I chuckle.

Me: fine im omw

Apollo: fuck yes. drive safe. my door's unlocked

I shake my head before saving my work and closing my laptop.

I text my childhood best friend Laila.

Me: hey im going to Apollo's. can u ask ur mom to cover for me?

I get up and start putting my shoes on. Laila is the only person I'm allowed to have a sleepover with. My mom grew up with her mom so, obviously, she trusts her. Even at the ripe age of 19, my mom still controls who I can be friends with. It's exhausting.

Laila: of course. texting her now.

Her mom covers for me because she doesn't think it's fair how my mom treats me. I'm a good kid, she should trust me. Well, usually I'm a good kid. If she wasn't so strict, I wouldn't have to hide Apollo from her.

I walk out of my room to my parents on the couch, holding my keys.

"Hey guys, I'm gonna sleepover at Laila's. I haven't seen her in a while."

My mom looks at me, "Go straight to Laila's. Be safe, Stella."

"Okay bye. Love you!" I leave, locking the door behind me. I go to the elevator and press the button that takes me down to the parking garage.

We've lived in the same apartment since I was a kid. My parents are super successful company owners so we had the money to move to a nice apartment on the Upper East Side. They're paying for my education and paid for my older sister's too, who is now graduated and moved in with her fiancé. I miss her but we were never super close.

I get into my car before pulling out of the parking spot and heading to Apollo's.

He lives in an off-campus apartment by NYU. We actually met in freshman comp. He wants to be a neurosurgeon.

I drive the 15 minutes to his apartment before parking in his parking garage and walking into his building. Since it's dark out, I have my pepper spray in my hand, ready to go. But once I'm inside, I put it back on my keychain.