The Revelry 5

I stand at my brother's side as a ship is packed full of his things. Mostly wine. A member of his court has requested his presence in another kingdom.

"They called for me. What do you want me to do?"

I give him a look that's the equivalent of telling him to shut up.

He sighs. "Well, you had one job back in Virac and you couldn't even accomplish that," He reminds me, "So keep that in mind the next time you criticize me."

Anger. White, hot anger.

I step forward and keep my voice low so only Edmund will hear. "And what were you doing the last five years I ruled?" I remind him. He only scowls. "Exactly what you're off to do now. Remember that, dear brother, while you revert back to old habits." My tone was harsh and unforgiving and I couldn't care less if I hurt his feelings.

I walk away, back to the castle, leaving my brother standing at the docks. I can't stand to be around him a moment longer.

~~~

I watch the waves hit the cliffs before lifting my eyes to the stars. With all this newfound free time I have, I've been able to take up a hobby: Astronomy. I've even begun writing a proposal for updated equipment in our observatory. I think it helps me knowing how small we truly are. Like my problems really aren't that bad when there's galaxies out there colliding.

Footsteps behind me make me look over my shoulder. My heart quickens when I see Ryle walking up, dressed in all black. I grin and stand. I meet him halfway, wrapping my arms around his neck as he wraps his around my waist.

"We must stop meeting like this, Wren," He says, in that smooth voice of his through a smile that makes my skin tingle.

I can't help a smile of my own before laying my head in his shoulder, his warmth wrapping around me, even on a chilly, autumn night.

"You're too impatient to wait for me to come inside," I tell him.

"Far too impatient," He agrees as he hooks his finger under my chin and I lift my head. He places his lips on mine and I sigh in relief. It's a sweet and gentle kiss, his lips feel so soft against mine. His familiar taste and smell invade my senses, making it impossible to think straight. I place my hand on his cheek as he kisses me like he has all the time in the world to savor it. I guess he does.

I pull away before leading him to where I was. I sit down and he sits next to me. I then lay down, my head in his lap, gazing at the sea. He runs his fingers through my hair. As I watch the waves, my worries begin to recede with the tide as his fingers glide through my hair. I look up at him to see him also watching the water. I catch his hand and kiss the back of it before intertwining our fingers against my stomach. The action grants me his attention as he now watches me with a small smile.

"What're you doing here?" I ask him.

He squeezes my hand. "Visiting."

I grin. "You're here for me?"

"When am I not here for you?"

I bite my bottom lip to stop myself from grinning too hard. "The peace treaty...?"

He shakes his head. "Not on my mind at the moment."

"Really?" I tease as I sit up and then straddle his lap. He runs his hands up my body as he nods.

"Really."

I lean down and press my lips against his. He wraps his arms around me, smiling.

"Now what did I do to get you to be so nice to me?" He teases against lips. I nip at his bottom lip, making his smile grow. "Hm?"