Escape from Reality

Mahi reached his house, Sakshi and Ziva retired for the night as they were hell tired.

Mahi went to the terrace, staring into the night sky, finding answers and peace in them.

IPL, instantly reminded him of old and happy days.

Lately, only old memories was keeping him sane, new ones no matter how hard he tried, felt strange.

"Bhai I got selected in RCB fanchise and Ro in DC, isn't it cool", Virat exclaimed happily.

They were watching auction ceremony and everyone was thrilled.

"Ofcourse Cheeku", he added to his happiness.

Mahi looked around the room to see Rohit seated silently opposite to what Virat was reacting.

Was he not happy?

"Ro", he called softly and took a seat beside him.

Rohit looked at him and asked immediately, "ha bhai, do u need something?"

Mahi shook his head at him, he was still the little kiddo Ro who has made a debut under him a year back.

And he never wanted him to change.

"Kya hua hai?", he softly asked.

Rohit began nervously, "bhai I-- I just don't know how to play under someone else-- I mean not that I disrespect anyone, I can't-- I mean, I don't know, if I--"

"I am just being immature", he finished.

Mahi smiled at his innocent kid.

"Ro, listen to me, you are not immature. Don't take Cheeku's title", he said which made Rohit chuckle.

Mahi took it as a plus seeing smile on his gloomy face.

"Look Ro, you are just starting your career this league is gonna help you to evolve. Learning from several people. And its just for two months, then back to ICT and me", he explained.

"But aap nhi honge waha pe", he said like a child.

Mahi side hugged him to which Rohit immediately leaned into.

"I am toh always there with you. You give your best and make me proud", Mahi said.

Rohit said confidently, "I will make you proud bhai"

"I know", said Mahi.

"Mere bina aap log hug kar rahe ho", Virat whined and practically jumped on them.

Rohit yelled, "Oww, Idiot Cheeku rabbit", he rubbed his back.

That brought a smile on Mahi's face, remembering how Rohit was being a baby about going to IPL and play under any other captain.

Rohit was never that vocal about that like Virat but Mahi knew him very well.

How much Rohit loves him, needed him every single time and most importantly how much Rohit respected him.

"But what did I do? I just made him feel alone when he needed me the most, I was not there", he thought.

"I have left my kids in vulnerable situations and now I am here with them when everything is okay. Do I even deserve to be with them"

it's been one year and more to that, move on.

His heart was not ready to move on even though the voice in his brain constantly told him that.

IPL is gonna be a great escape.

__________

They reached home. Ritika and Anushka put Sammy and Vamu to sleep and went to their rooms as well.

Rohit went to the kitchen to prepare coffees, he knew Virat will need it.

"Virat, take the coffee rather than stressing your brain so much", Rohit said coming to the terrace and saw him staring the sky.

Virat took the cup from him and they sat there in the cool breeze.

"I am not going to participate in the IPL, I can't--"

"Vi, as we got back with the team, we can get back there too", Rohit said softly.

"No Ro, its too damn hard", Virat spoke tiredly.

"What's hard Vi?"

"Don't you know Ro, what's hard?", Virat looked at him surprised by Rohit's question.

"You tell me?"

"You know you just sound like a therapist right now", Virat said.

"What even-- why would you say anything like that?", Rohit asked being offended by that comment.

"Then don't you know that I don't know how to be there without you, you know I got back to ICT just because you were gonna there", Virat yelled.

"Not because Mahi bhai and others were there?", Rohit asked being shocked.

"Stop cross questioning me Ro. You know I don't mean that."

"You did mean that Vi, you realise that you are keeping everyone in the dark when u were actually never ready for this"

"I did it for you Ro"

"For me, you got back to cricket field for me, really Vi? Are you hearing yourself?"

"Ro-- I am not ready for IPL, why don't u understand such a simple thing"

Rohit looked at him little shocked by his outburst. This was happening after 6 months.

"I am sorry Ro, I am--", he said being awfully guilty of shouting at him.

Rohit just said, "It's late, should get to bed"

"Ro please listen--", Virat began but Rohit already walked off downstairs.

Rohit came downstairs and called Mahi bhai, he didn't know why but he wanted to hear his voice.

"Ro? Are you okay? Calling at this time?", he asked concerned.

"Did I wake u up?", Rohit asked in a low voice.

Mahi smiled, said, "no kiddo I was up anyway"

"Kya hua? Did u fight with Cheeku?", he asked sensing silence on the other end.

"He is having second thoughts about IPL because I am not there with him. Why can't he understand that he needs to get back to his team", said Rohit being frustrated.

"Ro, it's normal right. It's not easy"

Just ask me how difficult it is getting every single day.

"I know bhai, I understand. But I can't be there every single sec", he said.

Please don't say like that.

"Ro, you take a good night's sleep now. We will talk to him tomorrow morning okay?", Mahi said not knowing how to continue that conversation.

"Good night bhai"

What was he doing again? He was a clear mess. He was a terrible friend and just didn't deserve Ro. He didn't deserve anyone.

Virat concluded from that argument as Rohit walked off.

You kept Mahi bhai in dark.