Chapter 3

"Hi mum."

"Finally! I was starting to worry something had happened to you!"

"Almost" I say, falling into the couch at the apartment.

"Almost? Are you ok?" she asks, trying to see something through her phone's screen.

"I'm ok, don't worry. But the car is at the garage, it stopped working when I was almost here."

"Is that why it took you so long to call me?"

"Kind of. I had to wait until someone showed up, then go to the mechanic's, come back here, then the neighbour showed up and gave me a tour..."

"Mrs. Smart?"

"How do you know her?"

"Well..." my mum says, looking everywhere but the screen. "I met her a couple of years ago."

"You met her? Where?"

"There, in Bluebell. I went to visit your father."

"You did what?" I say, raising my voice and waking up Dixie, who was sleeping on the other side of the couch.

"It was when he found out he was sick. They told him he didn't have much time left, and wanted to apologize. He said he couldn't leave without making things right."

"He wanted to make things right. Now. More than 20 years later." I chuckle. "But wait. Is that why I am here? Did you convince him to leave me everything?"

"Oh, no. He had his will written a long time ago. He and his brother didn't get along, and he knew he didn't want him to inherit anything."

His brother. I had completely forgotten my father had a brother.

"Have you met him and his family yet?" my mum asks.

"No, not yet. But I guess they are the enemies Mason said I have."

"Mason? Who is Mason?" she says, arching an eyebrow.

"Just the guy who helped me when the car died."

"Is he cute?"

"Mum! You know I'm out of business. I don't need boys problems right now."

"He is cute. Your face says it all."

"Whatever" I say, rolling my eyes.

"Wait until you meet the Mayor. He is so hot."

"I already have" I say under my breath.

"Sorry?"

"I already met the Mayor" I repeat a bit louder.

"Already? You don't waste your time, uh?" she laughs. "But tell me. Is he hot or not?"

"He is, mum" I reply, rolling my eyes again. "But there is some kind of tension between him and Mason. Something happened there."

"Well, it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone gets involved with everyone" she shrugs. "You should meet with Mrs. Smart tomorrow and ask her to explain you the basics. You'll need to know a bit of everyone if you are gonna stay there."

"I haven't decided yet, mum."

"Just in case" she says.

I tell myself I haven't made up my mind yet, but the truth is that, so far, I like everything I've seen. People included.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I am so glad you called me" Mrs. Smart says, liking her arm with mine. "I supposed you would be doing the tour around town with Mason."

"He didn't offer."

"He probably is busy sleeping. Last night they had a concert at the pub, they closed late."

"The pub?"

"Didn't he tell you that he owns a pub?"

"Nope" I say. He didn't tell me much about him besides his name.

"It belonged to his grandfather, and once he retired, he took care of it. He wasn't made to be around books, but he is a clever one, that's why the pub has been doing so well. Though I would recommend you to stay away from it."

"Why?"

"It's just filled with drunk people who shout at the tv when there is a football match going on. When they have concerts, it is a bit better, though it also is filled with drunk people. Same during the weekend nights."

"Nothing I haven't seen before in the city" I shrug.

"Still, I would recommend you to stay away from it. The tea spots I'll show you today are way better" Mrs. Smart says as we walk into the main square.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

After stopping to talk with half the town, all of them referring to me as "the daughter", we finally get to visit one of those tea spots Mrs. Smart loves so much. Or Angela. I must start calling her Angela.

We are deciding on which of the outside the tables we want to sit, when I see him walking towards us. The Mayor. Rúben. This time that horrendous dog isn't with him, and he isn't wearing sweatpants either. He's wearing a suit with no tie, and I swear I've never seen anyone look that good. He looks like he is on a tv ad, a fashion show, as if he is the main character of a movie. He looks is simply... perfect.

"We meet again" he says when he sees me.

"Hi" I mutter as he comes closer. He also smells good. So so good. It isn't fair.

"Oh, Mayor, good morning!" Mrs. Smart says.

"Good morning, Angela" he replies with a smile. "Any news about Josh's daughter? You know who is getting... Impatient."

"Actually..."

"Rúben!" someone with a high pitched voice says, interrupting Mrs. Smart. "Rúben, babe, I thought we were meeting at the restaurant!" a woman says, grabbing his arm. She has blonde hair almost white, and is wearing a bright pink suit, the highest heels I've ever seen, golden jewelry that does not look fake, and a bag that could probably pay the rent of a nice flat in the city for a couple of months.

"I was on my way, but I stopped to say hello" he replies.

"Oh, you and your Mayor duties" she says with a laugh as high pitched as her voice. "It's nice to see you, Angela."

"You too, Victoria" Mrs. Smart says.

"And this is..." Victoria says, looking at me from head to toe and definitely not liking what she's seeing. Jeans, a black cardigan and converse. She's probably never worn converse.

"Oh, I hadn't checked my watch, and we are running late!" Mrs. Smart suddenly says, grabbing my arm and making me follow her. "We are so sorry... Bye!"

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"What was all that about?" I say when Mrs. Smart finally stops walking and lets go of my arm.

"That, was me saving you from your cousin making a scene in the middle of town."

"She is... my cousin?"

"Yes, Victoria. The daughter of your uncle Joe, and the Mayor's girlfriend." He's taken. Of course he is taken. And by my cousin. "Did you ever meet?"

"Who?"

"You and Victoria" Mrs. Smart says.

"Oh... No, never. I think I saw a photo of my uncle once, but nothing else."

"Well, get ready. Because they are not happy about you inheriting everything, and will try everything in their power to get it from you."