Chapter 21

"Hello."

"Hi" I say.

"Please come in, have a sit."

"Thank you."

"So..." he says, not moving from the door and putting his hands on his pockets.

"Why don't you come sit here next to me?"

"Do I need to? I know you haven't picked me and that I'm not the father of your baby either."

"What?"

"Your voice over the phone gave it all away, it's ok" he shrugs. "Can I ask you something, tho?"

"Of course. But first sit down here with me. Please" I smile.

"Fine" he says, sitting on the sofa but keeping his distance.

"What did you want to ask me?"

"Did you really pick him before you knew he was the father? You can be honest, I won't get angry."

"I did, yes."

"So if it had been me..."

"I already told you. Both of you. If that had been the case, we would have had to find a way to make it work, because my child wasn't going to grow up without their father."

"Really?"

"Really. I know how that feels like, and I don't want that for them."

"You came out alright" he chuckles, a tiny smile showing on his lips.

"Thank you" I say, rolling my eyes. "But it's all thanks to my mother. She is amazing."

"And so are you. That kid is very lucky to have you as their mum. And him as his dad. I knew you would pick him, to be honest."

"Why do you say that?"

"It's just... some things you had said to me when we were together. I realized he can give you things I can't because we aren't on the same life path right now."

"But you'll find someone, you know? You are a total catch" I say, taking his hand on mine and giving it a little squeeze, trying to cheer him up.

"Oh, I know I am " he laughs.

"Can I give you a hug?" I ask, my hormones already taking over me and making me cry.

"And two" he says, opening his arms.

"I may not love you in the way you wanted me to, but I love you. You know that, don't you?" I say while I hug him and keep crying.

"I do."

"And I know it may be a lot to ask right now, that it may sound selfish... But I still want to have you in my life. As my friend. As my best friend."

"I thought that was Lindsey" he chuckles.

"She is my best girl friend. I want you as my best boy friend. Do you think that'll be possible?" I say, lifting my head from his shoulder to look him in the eyes.

"It'll be tough. Very tough" he says, wiping away some of my tears. "But I'll give it a go. Just the thought of being friendly with him makes my skin crawl... Ouch!" he says when I hit him. "But, if it means that I will keep having you in my life, it'll be worth it."

"Thank you" I say, hugging him again.

"Will it be too much if I ask for the baby to have my name if it's a boy? Being the godfather perhaps?"

"Step by step" I laugh.

"Step by step" he repeats, hugging me tighter.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Can I come in?"

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be resting?" he asks.

"I needed some fresh air, was in the area, and decided to pay you a visit."

"You were in the area" he chuckles. "There is one area in Bluebell."

"You know what I mean" I say. "Anyway, are you busy this afternoon?"

"It depends."

"On what?"

"On what you are proposing me" he says with a smirk, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against the back of the table where he had been working when I walked in, making my cheeks feel very warm. Pregnant and horny, amazing combination.

"I just..."

"You just?" he asks while arching an eyebrow, that smirk still on his face.

"I have a scan this afternoon" I say, my brain working again. "They are finally telling me if it's a boy or a girl, and I thought you may want to come since you are the father and all that."

"Since I am the what?" he says, standing up way too fast and leaving the table shaking, some of his papers falling to the floor.

"The father. You are my baby's father."

"I... Really? They are 100% sure?"

"Yep. 100%."

"I... I don't know what to say... I..."

"That's a first" I chuckle. "But there is something else" I say, taking a step closer towards him.

"There is more?"

"Yep. Because I've picked you. When I stopped to think about my life, my future, about the things I wanted... I saw you. You were the one I imagined by my side. Then I found out I was pregnant, and when I thought about raising this baby... I kept seeing you. We were doing this together. As a family."

"A... family?"

"A family. You, and I, and this little thing" I say, grabbing his hand and putting it on my belly. "What do you say?"

He just nods, his eyes filling with tears.

"Use your words" I say, teasing him the same way he always does with me.

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I want us to be a family. You, and I, and this little thing."

"Good boy" I say with a big smile. "I love you, Rúben."

"I love you too. Both of you" he replies before kissing me.