Chapter 4

"If I were you, I would not buy those apples. They may come with a surprise."

"Dear God, Mason" I say, the apple that was on my hand falling to the floor.

"Sorry" he says with that smile that shows his dimple. "But this is nothing compared to what you would feel if you were eating it, and found meat inside."

"Eww" I say, putting all the apples I had on my bag back on the stand. "Any other recommendations?"

"Do the fruit shopping on Sundays during the market. Everything is fresh and tastes ten times better."

"Noted. Anything else?"

"Come to my pub tonight to have a drink. There is a Champions League game, and some friends are coming. It'll be fun."

"Mrs. Smart recommended me the opposite, to not set a foot on your pub."

"Because she wants you to become her. You've been here for almost a week, and you've only met people who could be your parents."

"I've also met the Mayor. And his girlfriend, who happens to be my cousin."

"Boring people. It's time you meet people who are your age, and actually look like it. So, what do you say? Are you coming tonight or not?"

"Will you invite me to my first drink?" I ask. I am flirting. Why am I flirting?

"You'll be my guest of honour" he says with a wink.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I thought you weren't coming" Mason says as I walk into the pub.

"Curiosity got the best of me" I say, looking around. "This looks very nice. Definitely not what Mrs. Smart described."

"Told you. Beer?"

"Yes, please" I say. "What game are we watching tonight? Chelsea?"

"Yep. I'm a Chelsea boy, most people in this town are. You?"

"I got into football because of my ex, and he followed Liverpool. But now I can't stand them."

"Bad break up?"

"The worst" I say, taking a sip from my beer. "This is so nice, tho."

"Only the best for my favourite client."

"Mase, bro!" someone says, walking into the pub. "Already flirting?"

"Hello to you too, Dec. Where is Ben?"

"Outside, on the phone. I think his last conquest isn't very happy with him."

"Same as always then" Mason chuckles.

"Who is your friend?"

"Josh's daughter."

"Miss Daisy?"

"I beg your pardon?" I say to Mason's friend.

"That's how we call you" he shrugs. "I'm Declan, by the way. And that" he says, pointing at the door "is Ben. How did it go, bro?"

"I need a drink" he says, sitting next to me. "Who are you?"

"Miss Daisy, bro!" Declan says.

"Mase, you didn't tell us she was this pretty! Do you want her just for yourself?" Ben says with a cheeky smile.

"Whatever" Mason replies, rolling his eyes and leaving to attend a group of people who just walked in.

"He wanted you all for himself" Ben whispers, still smiling.