Chapter 17

"So, what's the plan for your birthday?" Rúben asks me while we walk Urso.

"I'm going to spend the weekend in the city with my mum and my friends. They are taking me out somewhere, and my mum has made a reservation to have lunch at our favourite restaurant."

"That sounds nice. Do you think we can meet when you come back? I've already planned something."

"Have you? Really?"

"Yep. But it is a surprise. So, should I schedule it for when you come back or not? Will you be too hangover?"

"I don't drink like that" I say, hitting him on the chest. "But maybe give me a day to rest from the trip and all that."

"From the trip, sure" he says with a teasing smile.

"Yes" I say, hitting him again.

"If you keep hitting me like this, I'm gonna have to do something about it" he says, the arm that was around my shoulders moving to my back, pulling me against him.

"Something like what?"

"I don't know..." he says, biting his lip and making me feel very warm.

"Woof, woof!" Urso says before jumping at us and covering us in mud.

"Oh, Urso, look what you've done!" Rúben says.

"Yeah, look" I whisper. Though in my head I am thanking him for interrupting us, because I am pretty sure Rúben was thinking about doing something behind the bushes. And I don't think I would have been able to say no to it.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I seriously don't know what could be so urgent to make us go to the pub this time of night."

"It's Mason, you know him" Lindsey shrugs.

"He didn't give you details?"

"Nope. He just said that he needed us there. Asap."

"But it is so quiet... And why are the lights off? It should be open" I say as we approach it.

"The answer may be inside" Lindsey says, nodding towards the door.

"I don't like this."

"Oh, please, stop complaining and go inside!" she says, opening the door and pushing me into the pub.

"Surprise!" everyone screams as the lights suddenly turn on.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph" I say, my hand instinctively going to my heart. I'm pretty sure it stopped beating for a second there. "What is this?"

"A surprise birthday party!" Lindsey says. "Mason organized it."

"He what?"

"Don't you like it?" he says, showing up next to me. "I felt like it was very fitting since you say we are constantly scaring you."

"And you scared me again. Big time" I say, trying to laugh.

"The rest of the night will be more pleasant. I promise" he says with a cheeky smile that shows his dimple.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mason..."

"What?" he says while kissing my neck, his hands moving everywhere under my clothes.

"It is my birthday party. I should be outside with my guests, not making out with you in the warehouse."

"They are too drunk to notice you are gone."