Chapter 15

"Your room is number three, the first one to your left."

"Thank you very much."

"Thank you for choosing to stay with us."

"You won't regret it. Best bed and breakfast in the area" Mason says from behind the couple I am talking to, giving them his most charming smile.

"Are you staying here?" the woman asks him.

"Sometimes. You should ask for the eggs Benedict in the morning if you like them. They are cheff kiss" he says, doing the famous gesture and making me roll my eyes.

"We'll keep it mind. Thank you" the man says before leaving.

"What was that?" I whisper.

"I was just helping the business" Mason shrugs. "Anyway, are you free?"

"I have guests. I'm not free, no."

"But the others can take care of them if they need anything. That's why you pay them, right?"

"Mason, what do you want?"

"To take you out on a date" he says, smiling and showing his dimple. "I warned you I would do it."

"Yes, you did. But it is 12 pm on a Monday. I thought you would ask me out at night or something like that."

"Maybe another day. Today it is a lunch date. And you'll need to wear this" he says, showing me a helmet.

"Where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise. Are you coming or not?"

"Fine, yes" I finally say. "I'll see who is around and can take my place. But we better be back for dinner, Mrs. Smart insisted I joined them tonight."

"We will, I promise."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Why are we stopping here?" I say once Mason has turned off the motorbike's engine.

"Don't you recognize this place?"

"I don't, no. It's the middle of nowhere."

"Think harder."

"Ok" I say, letting out a sigh and taking off my helmet, looking around. To both sides of the road there are just green fields, some cows eating... And a tree. A very familiar tree. "Wait a minute. Is this... Is this the place where my car stopped?"

"Bingo!"

"Why are we here?"

"Because this is where we met a year ago today."

"Oh, wow." I had totally forgotten it was today, that it had already been a year.

"And there is more over there" he says, pointing at the tree that made me realize where we were. "Shall we?"

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mason, what the..." I say when we make it to the tree.

"Welcome to our anniversary lunch."

"Our... This is amazing."

"Really?"

"Yes. Instagram worth it" I chuckle. He has prepared the perfect picnic spread, and if I'm not wrong, he's chosen some of my favourite things.

"I just hope there aren't bugs everywhere."

"And that's how you ruin the mood."

"I'm just being honest" he shrugs. "Though I asked Dean to keep an eye on it until we were close."

"Oh... so that's why we crossed paths with him."

"Yep."

"Why didn't you ask Ben or Declan to do it?" I say, sitting down on the blanket.

"Are you serious? I want this to be the perfect date, not a fucking disaster" he says as he sits next to me, opening a bottle of champagne.

"So fancy."

"I told you it is our anniversary. It must be fancy."

"Ok" I laugh. "What are we toasting to? Us?"

"Your car" Mason says, passing me a glass with champagne.

"My car?"

"Yes, your car. Because thanks to it dying, I got to meet you when I stopped to help you. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't because of it."

"We would have probably met somewhere else."

"Maybe. But it would have not been this special. So, to your mini" he says, raising his glass.

"To my mini."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"And the princess is back home just before the clock strikes midnight" Mason says after stopping in front of Daisy's.

"Thank you very much for today" I say, giving him my helmet.

"Keep it. You'll be needing it in the future."

"Are you taking me on more dates?"

"Oh, definitely. You just said that you enjoyed today's, didn't you?"

"I did, yes. Great food, lovely views, the company was ok..."

"The company was ok? Just ok? You weren't thinking that when we were making out."

"Fine, the company was also really good."

"That sounds better" Mason says with a smile. "Can I get a goodbye kiss?"

"Here? Have you forgotten that gossip girl is my neighbour?"

"Gossip girl" he laughs, making me want to give him that goodbye kiss just because of who cute he looks right now.

"Ok, fine. But just one quick kiss."

"I'm not sure if we'll be able to do that."

"We must try" I say before kissing him.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"You and Mason looked pretty cosy earlier" Mrs. Smart says after dinner. She and Lindsey had prepared it to also celebrate the anniversary of my arrival in town.

"Cosy? What do you mean by cosy?" Lindsey asks.

"They were kissing. And it wasn't just a peck. Those were proper kisses, with cute laughs and smiles, and arms around necks and waists."

"Oh... My God. You were making out in the middle of the street?"

"It wasn't like that, your mother is exaggerating" I say. But no, she was not exaggerating. It happened exactly like that.

"She probably is, but you definitely kissed" Lindsey says.

"Yes, we did."

"Is he the one, then?" Mrs. Smart asks.

"Oh, no. This was just a date."

"When I was your age, we didn't kiss like that on just dates" she says. "But whatever. You look happy, and that's what matters."

And she wasn't wrong on that. I was happy. In fact, since Mason left, I hadn't been able to stop smiling. And I liked that feeling. A lot.