Chapter 12

"Do you seriously need to go to the hospital now? It is snowing!"

"That's what the doctor said, mum. I can't wait."

"And can't Rúben take you?"

"He already told you he was busy, that he had family business to attend to."

He said it this morning, when he tried to sneak out without being seen, but my mum caught him. Mainly because she had gone into my room last night, and saw us sleeping together.

"But I don't trust calling a taxi. What about Mason?"

"He has his whole family at home with him, he probably is busy too."

And it's more than likely that the rumour about me and Rúben leaving together last night, already reached him. Lindsey texted me about it early in the morning, so if her mother knows...

"And are you sure they'll attend you today? It's Christmas Eve!"

"I'm going in as an emergency. They are always open for that."

"I just... Can't you wait a bit longer?" she insists.

"I've already waited long enough, mum. But what if I call Dean? The mechanic? He has a 4x4, knows the area, and my father used to like him a lot according to what I've been told. I'll be safe with him."

"Ok, fine. But I still think you should wait until the snow stops."

"Urgh" I say, rolling my eyes.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mum, that's Dean. I'm leaving!"

"Did you charge your phone?" she asks.

"Yes, mum. My phone is charged, and I have snacks and a water bottle with me. I'll be fine."

"Call me when you arrive, ok?"

"I will. Love you, mum" I say before going outside and running towards the car, snow all around me.

"You still have some snowflakes on your hair."

"Mason?" I say, finally looking up. I was so focused on running and not slipping, and then making sure I didn't get the inside the car covered in snow, that I hadn't looked at the person who was driving. "Why are you here? Where is Dean?"

"He had some last minute things to do, and gave me a call, asked me if I would take you to the hospital. What happened?"

"I may have broken my finger" I say, showing it to him.

"So rude, put that down" he chuckles. Because it was my middle finger the one that got crushed. "Do you mind that it is me driving you?"

"No, no, it's fine. Do you mind driving me?"

"I actually am glad to leave the house. They are driving me nuts."

"Too used to living alone and do whatever you want?"

"Exactly. You know how much I love walking around the house wearing just my underwear, and that is over now."

"Poor you" I say with a teasing smile.

"Indeed" he replies, also smiling. "Should we go before this gets worst?"

"Yeah, we should. I don't want my mum to worry more than she already is. Can I put some music?"

"Go ahead" he says, starting to drive.

"Her? Again?" I say when Taylor Swift starts playing. "Mason, is there anything you would like to share with the class?"