Chapter 13 - Trust

Eleanor's POV:

A few minutes ago I bumped into Lorenzo and he told me that he was looking for me to take me up to Francesco's office.

I look around and see Gino sitting on one of three couches in front of Giovanni.

Francesco is sitting behind his desk looking at some papers while Matteo and Lorenzo are talking to each other on another couch.

The room is dark, the only light source is the one the sun provides entering through two large windows with drawn-back black curtains. The couches the men are sitting on are surrounding a small, circular coffee table 

Two chairs stand in front of Francesco's desk, a square ceiling light right above the desk. Behind him is a painting made up of four vertical ones. Two bookshelves, which were built into the wall, stand on either side of the door.

I stand near the door with my hands by my sides, looking around the room, waiting for someone to say something

"Eleanor," I turn my head once I hear Francesco speaking, nodding to show him I am listening " please sit down we would just like to discuss some things with you."

I go to sit on of the chairs but a voice stops me.

"There's no need to sit on the chairs, this isn't a meeting. Come sit on the couch." I look behind me and see Lorenzo and Matteo now sitting further from each other with a space in the middle for me.

I don't feel comfortable sitting so close to these people but I don't want to make them angry so I comply.

Francesco brings one of the chairs that were in front of his desk and sits opposite me at the end of the coffee table.

They all look at me as my heartbeat starts to increase. My palms feel sweaty making me wipe them off on my pants. I feel butterflies in my stomach, which feel like they're travelling up into my heart.

It feels like the time Tim and Karen had set me down to tell me why they truly had adopted me. To tell me that I will serve as their slave and would get punished for a single mistake.

It feels like the first time I got beaten when I was 11. The times when they would force me to shoot innocent people. Feels like the day of my escape when I barely made it out alive.

I force myself to return to the present, blinking so my tears don't fall. I take small breaths through my nose so they don't get suspicious if I take deep ones. 

---------------------

Matteo's POV:

Looking at Lea I can tell she's nervous. I notice the tears in her eyes. How she wiped her hands on her jeans. How her breaths came out shallow as if she's trying to not take deep breaths.