chapter 18- Panic Day

Eleanor's POV:

What do I say? He can't know the truth, if he does he'll tell the others and then my whole plan might as well be thrown away. I relax my face not giving anything away about how I'm feeling. I need to think of something quick.

"I used to go to the gym a few months back." It isn't a complete lie, I did go to the gym but it's not where I built my endurance to fight how I did.

"I must say that was impressive! You must have been going for a while to fight like that." He compliments which gets a simple nod of recognition from me.

"You said used to; did you stop?" He continues, my guess to make small talk.

"Mhm." I nod not looking at him as I unwrap my knuckles. Once unwrapped, I inspect them, seeing a small wound on the middle knuckles. 'Could be worse' I whisper.

"Why so? You're good from what I saw, you could make a profession out of it if you want."

I shrug, "The membership started to cost too much and it's not something I do seriously. It's just for leisure."

"Understood, I must admit I liked your technique it's not something I have ever seen."

"Thank you." After that, silence falls as Giovanni starts walking over.

"Can I look at your knuckles?" I nod letting him take my hands into his. He does it so gently and gingerly almost as if they're made of glass. He lets his eyes zoom in on my middle knuckles, "Looks like you wrapped them well, though I suggest using some antiseptic for these."

"Uh yeah, I will." I look at my knuckles, avoiding eye contact.

"If you want I can get you some from our clinic upstairs..."

"You have a clinic in the house?" That's strange, it's not anyone that has a clinic in their home.

"Yeah, it's on the fourth floor which is why you don't know about it." He explains.

"Taziano mentioned that we're not allowed up there. Why's that?" I ask, interested in what he might say to cover up the true reason.

"That rule goes for you and the rest of the boys under 20 years old. We do not allow them up there due to having important documents, and the boys are known to be a bit wild so we don't risk it. They are only allowed up there with our permission." He explained as simple as possible. Though I sensed some truth to his words, I know there more to the story but let it go as I focused is on where I'm walking.

--------------

Sitting on a rolling chair, I watch Giovanni clean the small cuts on my middle knuckles. He does it with such gentleness that is almost made me forget he's part of the mafia. He's talking me through what he's doing and why while I nod to let him know I'm listening.

"All done" I jump slightly startled, he was using such a soft tone that that he put me in a slightly relaxed state.

"Thank you" I respond as I stand up, while I'm walking to the door I hit my thigh against the counter and I hiss as it hits where I have stitches. My hand instinctively goes to my thigh and I rub while putting pressure to try soothing the pain.

Giovanni walks over to me with a concerned look on his face. "You okay?" his tone is gentle but the worrisome tone behind it can be heard. I nod as I bite my lip.

"Yeah just bumped my thigh against the counter, I'm okay." he still looks concerned but nods, proceeding to the door and I follow having a small limp in my step. He looks over his shoulder and I notice his eyes going to my limp and he turns around standing in place.