Chapter 19- Respect

Eleanor's POV:

I tap my pen on the desk as I play with my hair trying to remember the answer to the question.

It's been a few days and Francesco told me that my school allowed me to take my exams online. They would send the papers on the day of the exam and the teacher would stay on a call with me while I did it.

The only condition was that my microphone and camera stayed on at all times. I was more than fine with it as long as I didn't fail my exams. Today is the first exam I have to do online. It's physics, which isn't a strong suit of mine, but I'm aiming for the sixties at least.

The timer goes off on the teacher's end signaling that the exam is over. Before the teacher cut the call he informed me that I needed to scan the exam today and send it to him in not more than fifteen to twenty minutes or else they'd consider I cheated. 

I agree with it and the minute he cuts the call I grab the exam and head up to the fourth floor. Francesco had permitted me to go up after my exam as he knew I needed to scan it. I knock on his office door and once I get the okay I walk in and hand him the papers.

As he scans the papers he asks "How do you think you did?"

I fidget with my hands, my eyes watching the scanner. "I don't think I went horrible, but then again physics is a pain for me so it might not be my best mark," I answer.

"And that's okay, we can't be good at everything. I know you're studying hard and that's all that matters." He reassures, a long pause stretches before he lets out a chuckle making me confused.

"I remember what I was like during exam season. Believe it or not, I wasn't the best student in my year. I had never gotten the point of the subjects we were taught so I used to leave the studying till the last minute, managing to get the grades I needed to pass and boy did my mother scold me for my laziness..." He reminiscences while I stare at the ground my mouth slightly parted.

"I never would have guessed," I murmur which makes him let out a deep chuckle.

"It wasn't until I got to University and entered the marketing programme that I got my act together." I notice he zones out slightly, telling me he's going back to that time and I listen intently.

"I met your mother at University, I dreamt about marrying her, having kids with her, and giving her the life she wanted. I wanted to make sure she was never missing out on anything. I knew I needed to pull myself together if I wanted to achieve that." He shakes his head with a small smile.

"It wasn't easy breaking the cycle I had put my brain into, but once I got into the new cycle I felt myself change. I saw things clearer and started understanding what others said better. It's surprising how having a reason for doing something can change a person. For me, your mother was my reason. I wanted to treat her right, show her that I was a good man, a man worth her trust. A man worthy of her hand and her kids." He concludes and I feel his words strike a chord in me.

I would never have thought of Francesco like that. From the outside, you wouldn't think he was a family man but his explanation just gave me a whole new view of him.

"W-What was mum like back then?" The question that has been nagging me finally comes out and his smile widens at the memories probably flushing his mind.

"She was... a feisty one I'll say. Always striving for independence, I remember how she made me grovel and work for her approval before we got together. But behind all that, she was a kind sole. She was a good woman, helped those in need and always stuck up for what was right.

"I can never explain the happiness she brought me, and when we got married it was beautiful. And from then on life felt better with her. She was an open book for me. Even though she always scolded me and told me it was my fault every time she was pregnant after the fifth time, I knew she loved all of you and would die before letting harm fall upon you, and I'd do the same." He leans against the wall.