Chapter 8 | The exact point my life starts falling apart |

I liked Percy. How? How could I have let this happen? Just months ago, I couldn’t stand him, and now…ugh, I hate my life! He’s just so cute and stupid and funny and stupid and sweet and stupid and UGH! What was wrong with me? He was just so cute and kind. Someone slap me. Please.

    After I had realized my feelings, I had fallen into an uneasy sleep in Percy’s arms. I had anxiety that he would figure out and not like me back and not want to be my friend anymore. I didn’t want to lose Percy in my life.

   I just wanted to be with him all the time, but I knew that couldn’t be since we both had lives. I just couldn’t get over how much this was affecting me. Artemis was right. I had gone astray, to use her words.

    I was walking aimlessly, absorbed in my thoughts. I came to when I glanced up, I saw Grover and Percy talking ahead, watching the nymphs play the satyrs into which they were gonna kiss, but turned into a tree at the last second. “Ah, love,” Grover sighed, dreamily.

    I turned on my heel, but it was too late. Percy spotted me. “Butterfly!” He yelled, running over to me.

    “Hey, hey…um, hi! Hey,” I said, turning red. Gods, I was an idiot.

    “You’re never going to leave me for the Hunters, will you?” He asked, and I actually laughed.

    “Percy, baby, did you not listen to Artemis?! She doesn’t want me with her Hunters.” I said, and he pouted.

    “I know, I would just miss you too much.” He said, and I went on tip toes and kissed his nose.

    “You’re cute,” I said, and he grinned. It seemed easier now that I knew I had a crush on him, to flirt teasingly with him since I could notice nearly every little detail about him.

    “Can I hold your hand?” He asked, and I grinned sheepishly.

    “Would you like it if I said yes?”

    He intertwined my hand with his. “Of course,” He said, holding up our interlaced hands. He leaned in and whispered in my ear, “How ‘bout we try that kissing thing again?”

    I shifted away from him, refusing to look at him until he dropped it. “C'mon, Butterfly, let's go to the lake!” He said, and I smiled.

    I jumped on his back, and he almost dropped me. Again. “Sorry!” He exclaimed, and ran on towards the lake.

    Percy set me down, then sat down on the ground. “Alright, sit down.” He said, and I frowned.

    “You’re a son of Poseidon, so you can ignore the fact you’re sitting on gravel and mud.”

    “You’re a wimp.”

    “You do know when you stand up, it’ll look like you pooped your pants, right?”

    He looked at his bottom, only to see it was covered in mud and gravel, together making a murky brown. “Aw, man!”

    He huffed and spread his arms wide, “Alright, sit down.” He said again, and I fell dramatically into his arms.

    “Hello, gorgeous,” He said, and I snorted at his attempt to mock my accent. I had developed a cross between an American and British accent. But in reality, it kind of depended on where I was for a stronger accent. Here, I could really seem to be American, while at Hogwarts, I talked with a better British accent.

    “Hello, stupid.” I said, thwacking his head.

    “Owie,” He pouted, and I rolled my eyes.

    I laid back, and he wrapped his arms around me. My heart was thundering in my chest. I couldn’t believe I fell for him. He was a dolt, yet I couldn’t get over how nice and funny he could be.

    I kissed his cheek, and he turned pink. He groaned and I turned to him. “What’s up, buttercup?” I asked, and he hugged me close.

    “I miss Annabeth,” He frowned, and I did too before getting an idea. I rose up and he cocked his head to the side.

    “Y’know, no one’s in the Big House,” He was still not catching on. “But there is something in the Big House.”

    He jumped to his feet and hugged me. “You’re brilliant, Butterfly!” He said, running off towards the Big House.

ততততত

I listened to Audrey ranting about Percy. “Ugh! And he’s being so mopey! His best friend probably died, boo hoo, suck it up! They’re both demigods, he should have been prepared for something like this! And-!”

    “I get he’s not one of your favorite people, but can you please, please not rant about him being depressed that his best friend died! It’d be inhuman to not be sad about it!” I snapped, and she rolled her eyes.

    “He’s half god!”

    “And half human! Letting out your emotions is good!”

    “Stop acting like you’re a daughter of Aphrodite.”

    “Just shut it!” I snapped again, hiding my face.

    She scoffed and shook her head, “Before you became his bestie, you were all for my rants.” She said, and I sent her a look.

    “Oh, gee, I became friends with someone other than you. The world is ending.” I said, sarcastically, and she groaned.

    “I don’t mean that. I’m just saying that before, you didn’t like him that much. It’s like you have a crush on him or something…” She said before gasping. “You have a crush on him!”

    “I don’t!” I denied, even though I knew I did.

    “You do too!” She squealed. “You’re blushing, you’re blushing!” She shrieked, jumping up and down.

    “I don’t!” I repeated. I knew Audrey worked. She would tell everyone, and then Percy would find out, and I would lose him as a friend. “Just trust me on this.”

    “Fine, but just know you’re wrong.” She hummed, and I sighed.

    “Al! Butterfly,” Percy gasped, stumbling into me. “The…oracle didn’t…tell me…anything.” He panted, clearly tired from all the running.

    “Take a deep breath.” I said, and I pushed him to stand straight.

    “I don't know what to do,” He said, glumly, and I rested my hand on his shoulder.

    “Percy,” I said, kissing his cheek. “Honey, you’ll figure it out. You always do, and I haven’t even known you for that long.”

    I hugged him, and I felt him relax. “Thank you, Al.” He said, kissing the top of my head before running off again, leaving me stunned, feeling the blush creep up on my face.

    “Oh, yeah,” Audrey said. “You definitely like him.