Chapter 10 | Things Happen |

“Darn it!” Connor yelled in the cabin while everyone was out except me, because I was a nerd and was reading my book. But I don’t care. Because the definition of nerd is smarter than you.

    “Oh, sorry, Alora, he didn’t know you were in here,” Travis said, awkwardly.

    “Oh no, I did. I just really don’t wanna go to this council meeting.” Connor said, and Travis sighed.

    “Alora, can you go with me to the meeting instead of Connor, since he’s being all moody?” Travis asked, and I nodded.

    “Sure,” I said, closing my book, gently.

ততততত

Having never been to a council meeting, I didn’t expect it to be this chill. We were gathered around the ping pong table in the rec room with food and wine which got changed to diet coke.

    Zoë began the meeting on a grim note, “This is pointless.”

    “Cheese Whiz!” Grover exclaimed, spraying the cheese on a ping-pong ball.

    “There is no time for talk,” Zoë said, getting right to the point. “Our goddess needs us. The Hunters must leave immediately.”

    “West!” Bianca said, having taken the job of Zoë assistant. “You heard the prophecy. Five shall go west to the goddess in chains. We can get five hunters and go.”

    “Yes,” Zoë said, nodding along. “Artemis is being held hostage! We must find and free her.”

    “You're missing something, as usual,” Thalia said, agitatedly. “Campers and Hunters combined prevail. We're supposed to do this together.”

    “No!” Zoë exclaimed, frustratedly. “The Hunters do not need thy help.”

    “Your,” Thalia grumbled. She was ever so clearly in a bad mood, I didn't need to read her mind to figure that out. “Nobody has said thy in, like, three hundred years, Zoë. Get with the times.”

    “Yerrr. We do not need yerrr help.” Yikes.

    “Forget it.” Thalia said, rolling her eyes.

    “I fear the prophecy says you do need our help,” Chiron said to Zoë. “Campers and Hunters must cooperate.”

    “Or do they?” Mr. D mused, trying to unnerve some people, taking a whiff of his Diet Coke. “One shall be lost. One shall perish. That sounds rather nasty, doesn't it? What if you fail because you try to cooperate?”

    “Mr. D,” Chiron said, sighing. “With all due respect, whose side are you on?”

    “Sorry, my dear centaur. Just trying to be helpful.”

    “Look, Zoë. None of us are big fans of working together, but we have to. You’d be helping to free your goddess.” I said, and I obviously got to her. “Besides, you know how prophecy’s work. You wanna go against it?”

    “We must not delay," Chiron declared. “Today is Sunday. This very Friday, December twenty-first, is the winter solstice.”

    “Oh, joy,” Dionysus whispered. “Another dull annual meeting.”

    “Artemis must be present at the solstice,” Zoë said. “She has been one of the most vocal on the council arguing for action against Kronos's minions. If she is absent, the gods will decide nothing. We will lose another year of war preparations.”

    “Are you suggesting that the gods have trouble acting together, young lady?”

    “Yes, Lord Dionysus.”