Chapter 9 | Capture the Flag Goes Horribly Wrong |

The next day was capture the flag. And boy, everyone was ready to destroy the Hunters. They’ve been getting on everyone’s nerves. Even mine. They have not let it go that I had fallen for a boy. Even still they liked me more than others. If that’s how I feel, and I don’t like them, I wonder how everyone else feels.

    “I’m gonna shoot one of them.” Percy grumbled at dinner when I plopped down next to him.

    “Don’t shoot people.”

    “Okay.”

    I drummed on the table boredly, until Percy took my hand off the table. I started to hum under my breath, then Percy put his hand over my mouth. I glared at him. He looked like he was in a sour mood. Clearly, I wasn’t being very helpful.

    “There’s the doggy.”

    “Oh joy,” I said, and he kissed my cheek.

    “What was that for?” I wondered aloud, certain my cheeks were red.

    “Doggies don’t get to control me,” He grumbled. “I control me.”

    “Yeah, you do.” I joked, shoving his shoulder a bit.

    “Don’t shove me.”

    “Shut up.”

    “Yes, ma’am.”

    I smiled proudly, and he took my hand hesitantly. He seemed to have brightened just slightly.

    Then I spotted the Stoll brothers tormenting Nico again, and I knew I had to go help him. Ugh, why did I have to be a nice person? Why couldn’t I have just left Nico alone with the Stoll brothers? I kissed Percy’s cheek again before going back to Hermes table.

ততততত

“I’ll show them ‘love is worthless,’” Silena Beauregard said as I adjusted her armor. “I’ll pulverize them!”

    “You tell them, honey.” I said, stepping back.

    I walked over to Percy and Nico, setting my elbow on Percy’s shoulder. He looked at me, his sour mood returned. Not by me...hopefully

    “Do we kill the other team?” Nico asked, and I was sure Percy wasn’t entirely opposed to that.

    “Well…no.” Percy said, and I bit back a laugh at the look on his face.

    “But the Hunters are immortal, right?”

    “That's only if they don't fall in battle. Besides-”

     “It would be awesome if we just, like, resurrected as soon as we were killed, so we could keep fighting, and-”

     “Nico, this is serious. Real swords. These can hurt.”

    I hit Percy’s shoulder. He had no reason to be rude, and he could cut the kid some slack. He was new to this whole thing, just like Percy was about two years ago. Percy sighed, obviously sensing my mild anger.

    “Hey, it’s cool.” He said, setting his hand on my shoulder. “Just follow the team. Stay out of Zoë’s way. We’ll have a blast.”

    He kissed the top of my head and hugged me as if acknowledging me for the first time.

    “And hello to you Butterfly,” He said to me, and I grinned.

    Just then, Chiron’s hooves pounded on the ground of the pavilion.

    “Heroes!” He called out, and I looked at him. “You know the rules! The creek is the boundary line. Blue team- Camp Half-Blood- shall take the west woods. Hunters of Artemis- red team- shall take the east woods. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. No intentional maiming, please! Nearly all magic items are allowed.” He said, his eyes flicking to me. “They know who they aren’t allowed. To your positions!”