Chapter 15 | The Old Man of the Sea |

“I’m like a bird, I wanna fly away!”

    “Percy…those aren’t the lyrics.”

    “Shut up!”

    As these statues only had two hands each, I was squished up with the one and only, Perseus Jackson. Now, you see a lot of people when forced to share a tight space are more likely to have some sort of resentment with each other. Now in my case, I only liked him more. I’m only fourteen! I shouldn’t be allowed to have feelings, I can’t even drive!

    During Percy and I’s endearing bickering, we had made it to San Francisco. It was beautiful, truly. The air was fresher from New York’s. It is smaller, definitely, but beautiful. Fog kissed the ground gracefully, giving it a peaceful feel. At least, to me. Can’t imagine Thalia was having that much fun.

    “Where do you guys wanna land?” Hank, the statue, asked.

    “There. By the Embarcadero Building.” Zoë ordered.

    “Good thinking," Chuck said. “Me and Hank can blend in with the pigeons.”

    I may be a witch with limited knowledge of the mortal world, but I don’t think mortals won’t notice two giant statues carrying five kids.

    “Kidding. Sheesh, can’t statues have a sense of humor?”

    Blending wasn’t an issue. It was early and nobody likes waking up early. Except…maybe that one homeless guy who saw us and freaked, but hey! I don’t have anything else to say…

    The angels flew off to a party with their statue friends. How do statues party? That didn’t matter. What mattered was we had no idea what to do next with no money or anything. But one thing was certain. We needed to figure out who this monster was.

    “But how?” Percy wondered aloud, as if finishing my thoughts.

    “Nereus.” Grover replied.

    It clicked. Nereus, the son of Pontus and Gaia, was the old man of the sea. He had a vast amount of knowledge and gave directions to Heracles in his quest to get the golden apples from Hesperides.

    “What?” I do not lie when I tell you I facepalmed.

    “Isn’t that what Apollo told you to do? Find Nereus?”

    “He’s the old man of the sea.” I told him, still seeing confusion on his face. “Open a book on mythology sometime, or at least a wiki page.”

    “I’m supposed to find him and force him to tell us what he knows. But how do I find him?” Percy recalled, looking at us.

    “Old Nereus, eh?” Zoë grimaced.

    “You know him?” Thalia asked, surprised.

    “My mother was a sea goddess. Yes, I know him.Unfortunately, he is never very hard to find. Just follow the smell.”

    “What do you mean?” Percy asked, his nose scrunched up in an adorable way.

    “Come. I will show thee.”

Something told me this would not be a pleasant experience

ততততত

“Oh. My. Gods.”

    Perseus Jackson, the amazing demigod, was wearing a raggedy flannel shirt, way too big jeans, bright red clownish sneakers, and a rainbow hat. I wish I could take a picture…