Chapter 11 | I Choke On Sour Airheads |

“I’m going to die.”

    “You’re not.”

    “I’m going to die!”

    “You’re not.”

    Thalia and I had been going back and forth like this for the entire car ride. With the way Zoë was driving, I was positive I was going to die. I really tried not to be negative, but with her driving? I’d be lucky if I ever got in a car again…y’know…if I didn’t die.

    “Zoë!” I groaned loudly. “Pull over please! I don’t wanna die today!”

    “Not yet.”

    “Zoë, c’mon, I’m hungry.” Thalia grumbled, grouchily.

    “Fine! There is a rest stop up ahead so thou can stop thy whining.”

    Thalia and I secretly high-fived in victory. Whining does pay off occasionally. Zoë finally pulled over, and I practically fell out of the van in anticipation.

    “Freedom!” I declared, walking out of the house.

    “Funny, you’re a Brit in America…technically, you took our freedom so…” Thalia said, and I scoffed.

    “Never you mind what my ancestors did.” I said, folding my arms. “Now, I don’t want to talk about wars. I wanna talk about getting me some food.” I mumbled grouchily. Am I on my period or something? I don’t recall ever really feeling this grouchy. Maybe aside from those bullies, but upon my free will? I would never want to feel bad. Then again…nobody wants to feel bad so…

    I guess life just sucks sometimes and even an optimist can’t really look past that.

    “Hey,” Thalia said, grabbing my shoulders. “We get it. You’re grouchy because you can’t talk to your pretty boy.” She was talking about Percy. Just the thought of him made me feel sick in the stomach in the way everybody describes in those movies. I didn’t like it and it frankly gave me anxiety. “But Grover needs to do his tracking spell, then we’ll have a feast on convenience store snacks.”

    I thought Thalia was my ally…

    Oh well.

    Grover finished his tracking spell and yada yada…I don’t know why my attention span has reached being able to last only a second. Maybe I’m hangry. I don’t know, my emotions are hardly ever out of whack like this, it’s awful.

    As soon as possible, I got food at the store. Sour Airheads and green tea. Surprisingly, it was an amazing combination. The sourness took away from the bitterness of the tea, and the tea washed away that twitchy feeling of the sourness.

    While I was getting my food, apparently there was an argument between Thalia and Zoë about the tracking spell and driving, so…I don’t know. I just shared my Airheads with Thalia. Supporting. Yay…

    Sugar highs can be nasty sometimes. I laughed so hard at absolutely nothing that I choked on my tea. Luckily, Thalia made sure I didn’t die. Never ever leave me unattending with sweets. I will die. Whether it be because I choked to death or caught the laughing plague…I don’t know.

ততততত

After following Artemis’s scent, it led us to the Smithsonian. We were at this space place, when something- or someone- slammed into my back, knocking me to the ground.

    I let out a small yelp, and looked up to see Percy. “H’lo, Butterfly.” He said, out of breath, and I snapped out of whatever weird funk I’ve been in.