6| Welcome to Rice Creek City

P.O.V Hazel

Having my mom drop me off at the rink was almost embarrassing. I really needed to get my own car. I felt like I was 15 again begging her to take me everywhere

I waved goodbye to my mom before entering the rink allowing the atmosphere of the rink to attack all my senses at once. I watched as the High School team exited the ice, their practice offically ending.

My heart ached as I watched them, my face time with Conner earlier not helping my home sickness. I not only longed for my old town, but my heart longed for the ice.

"Evening Hazel." I heard a voice call and I looked over at the front desk.

"Hi..." I trailed off realizing I hadnt asked his name yesterday

"Gail." He replied with a smile.

Gail, I mumbled to myself. Nodding as I did hoping that it would stick in my brain.

"How was your first day yesterday?" He asked.

I shrugged and moved closer to the desk, I looked past him to the room behind him.

It was full of rental skates, a few boxes of jerseys and a couple piles of paper work. Compaired to the office I had been in yesterday with Zach it was a mess. But a hockey mess, which I kind of liked.

"It was ok, I dont think Zach likes me very much" I stated with a small smile.

He was a typically hockey boy, I got that, but he had been very short with me upon first meeting him. Even if he wasnt mad at me he was definitly taking it out at me.

Gail just nodded his head as if he understood. Like it was typical for Zach to behave this way.

"just give him a minute, Zachs really nice, but hes also super stressed." Gail explained

I responded by shaking my head to show I understood, I turned my back to Gail and watched as a few of the high school boys exited the locker room. Bags over their shoulders and dripping with sweat.

"Do you want something to do while you wait?" Gail asked, realizing my bordom

I turned my head to look at him shrugging my shoulders.

"Sure."

I was bored, and part of me was itching to skate by just standing in a rink. But I also know what would happen if I tried.

Gail bent over and placed several cones, a box of pucks, and a hoola hoop on the desk. He jestered to them before speaking.

"This is everything Zach likes to use for practice. You could bring it over to the ice door so its there when he gets out of the locker room."

"Alright." I said while picking the box of pucks and the hoola hoop

I made 3 trips back and forth to the desk and back to the ice door before everthing was put out. I sat down on one of the near by benches and just scrolled on my phone.

Instagram flooding with pictures of people from my old school, I turned my phone off and looked up at the loby just as the high school team was coming out of the locker room. Zach exited the locker room still wearing his skates but out of gear, I watched as he rolled his eyes and shoved the kid next to him laughing immedetly afterwards.

Zach began to make his way to the front desk before he saw the equipment already out, he stopped in his tracks and looked at me.

"Did you get everything out?" He questioned.

I shrugged keeping my eyes on his face, just like yesterday his hair was slicked back with sweat.

"I got here early and was bored." I explained standing up so I could walk closer to him.