43| Go Get'm Tiger

P.O.V Zach 

I sat at the lunch table, the seat beside me empty. 

Ever since last night Hazel had avoided me like the plague. 

But I wanted to see her, because though I hated to admit it Zane was right. I did need to hear her side of the story first. 

Mick had somehow managed to get Conner's number before the past weekend was over. And according to him, Hazel had been a mess trying to figure out what to do the second the lie got out of hand. 

She knew she was screwing it all up but felt stuck because she knew that I would just immediately break up with her.

Which is exactly what I did. 

I felt guilty, but Conner told me not to. 

Everyone said that Hazel knew what she was doing and it wasn't my fault.

But it was hard to pin the exact feeling as guilt, because it was different than that. 

I felt bad, because hearing her side probably would have saved our relationship… and I desperately wanted her back.

All of Hazel back, hockey and non-hockey.

“No one said the relationship was completely broken.” Mick said, taking a bite of his salad.

Zane nodded in agreement. “It sounds like she wants to be back together just as bad.”

I thought for a moment looking at the two of them before looking at everyone else at the table. 

They had missed Hazel as well, her banter, and comments, keeping us in check when we got out of line. She was the unofficial mom of the friend group to these boys, and the only girl who ever stayed around this long. 

“Yeah but how can I talk to her if she's avoiding me?” I explained. 

The group mumble to each other trying to come up with ideas but falling short. 

“Mini mite?” Hayden asked. 

I shook my head, “She traded her volunteer hours to work the clock from all games not just highschool.” 

Micah let out a low whistle. “Damn.”

Mick just looked at me, not sure what to say to make me feel better. 

I looked back at him hoping he could come up with ideas.

“Look man,” He finally said, “ If the opportunity arises then it's meant to be… If not..” 

I thought about what he said as the next bell rang for lunch to be over. Throwing out my trash before making my way to AP bio I hoped that the opportunity would come. 

Sitting down in the back of the class I watched as Hazel walked in as well. 

She didn't look too great. I mean she looked tired and not caring, this whole week you could watch as her energy levels dropped. She didn't dress the way she normally dressed and she didn't put an effort into her hair all week.

Hazel sat two desks in front of me, assigned seats, so not by choice and the teacher began the class.

“I'm just going to run through the lecture then with the last 15 minutes of class I'm going to pass back the test from Wednesday.” The teacher explained. 

While he gave the lecture I stared at Hazel, she wasn't even writing down notes or trying, she just stared out the window with a blank expression. 

When the lecture came to an end the teacher handed out our test like he said, I watched as he put Hazels on the desk. I could hear the words coming out of his mouth. “See me after class.” 

I looked at her paper 32/47, yikes. 

She bit her lip for a moment nodding her head in response to the teacher. 

“Can I go to the bathroom?” She asked so softly I almost didn't hear it.

He just shook his head and Hazel jumped up from her seat. The teacher continued to pass out the test till he reached me, I didn't even look at it. 

“Can I go to the bathroom please? It's an emergency.” 

He just rolled his  eyes but let me go. 

The second I was out of the classroom I took off in a light jog to the girls bathroom catching Hazel before she got there. 

She could hear my footsteps clear as day.

“I can't do this right now Knight” She stated not even turning around to look at me, but I could tell that she was crying.

“I'm not here to fight” I said but she kept walking, I grabbed her wrist and she didn't even fight it.

She turned towards me but kept her gaze to the floor. 

“I came to make sure you were alright.” I explained. 

“Yeah I'm just dandy.” She said sniffling a little as she was still looking down.

“Princess…” I said out of instinct. 

She bit her lip again and looked up slightly.

“I want to talk.” I said, “and I want you to just listen.” 

She looked at me, her dark brown eyes held a mix of emotion, somewhere in there I thought I saw a bit of hope. 

“Hazel, I'm not dismissing what you did. It hurt. But I also get why you did it. I've thought about it over and over again and I think if I were in your shoes I would have done the same thing. I'm still a little mad, but I think time will fix that. But I don't want to spend that time waiting without you. Hazel I don't want to be without you.” I froze for a second looking at the clock on the wall, I only had seconds before the bell was going to ring. “Think about what I've said, and if it's what you want too then Friday, meet me at Kalanis for dinner, I'll pay.”

I got the last sentence out just before the bell rang.

“Think about it.” was all I had time to say before I had to rush off to my next class.

Words: 991