37| Body in Hell

P.O.V Hazel

Zach was irritated with me and I knew it. The look he gave me as I walked into my first hour was not a good one.

“Why the hell are you at school?” He asked 

I just shrugged, worried that if I spoke I would break out into another coughing fit. 

“Hazel you were beyond sick at the rink last night, that's why I sent you home. You shouldn't be at school either.” He explained turning to the front of the room as the lecture began.

He was probably right because My head felt like it was going to explode and no part of me wanted to eat any food.

By the third period I was struggling to draw because I kept coughing, I had to excuse myself from class three times to go get a drink of water. 

I was dizzy and felt miserable and would be surprised if I was running a fever. I probably got sick from Eli. I helped him get his gear on everyday. Even the day he was sniffling and coughing. 

When the bell for the end of class rang I was almost upset. I didn't want to get up from my desk. It seemed like too much work. Plus no part of me was hungry, if I ate something I might have thrown it up. 

But regardless I got up and walked myself to the lunchroom. Not bringing a lunch pail or getting in the lunch line. 

As I sat down I made no sassy comment to Mick, We’d been avoiding each other and it was quite obvious to everyone else that we were. 

I just sat there silent, it hurt to talk so I didn't and just allowed everyone to look at me in concern.

“Hazel you don't look so good.” Zane said, looking me up and down. 

Just as he said that Zach sat down next to me, giving me a concerned look. 

He placed his hand to my forehead not saying anything, his hand drastically cooler than my head. Then he felt my cheeks, I didn't protest because honestly it was too much work too.

“Hazel you're burning up.” He stated pulling out his phone. 

I felt distant like I could hear what he was saying but couldn't comprehend it enough to answer.

“I'm texting your mom.” He explained. “She's going to come pick you up, if you're gone more than one day I'll bring you your school work.”

I nodded my head and Zach looked at me with pity. 

I then looked over at Mick realizing I scheduled a practice with Dave tonight.

“Can you-” I started but it ended with a coughing fit.

Mick just shook his head, saying without saying that he would tell Dave. 

I looked back towards Zach who seemed slightly confused.

“Can you walk me to the office?’ I asked, seeming like it was my original question. 

Zach nodded his head putting his lunch away.

“Yeah, come on.” 

He helped me up from the lunch seat, which was good because I felt like I was going to fall over. 

Holding me close he walked me out of the lunch room to the office, helping me sit down in one of the chairs. He turned to the office lady and explained that I was sick and my mom would be picking me up.

She didnt queastion it but rather nodded her head and made note of it. 

“Hazel , why the hell did you come to school?" He asked me taking off his sweatshirt and put it on me as I began to shiver.

“I wanted to see you.” I joked in a raspy voice and Zach rolled his eyes with a smile. 

“Well congrats princess you have. Now go home and get some rest.” 

And that's what I did, plus threw up several times, cried a lot from the pain in my head, blew so much snot out of my nose I swear I could have filled up a mason jar. And it continued like this for not one, not two but three days. 

It sucked. Because in those three days I was completely dead to the world. I was asleep if I wasn't throwing up or coughing. 

My mom had said some things to me but I didn't quite understand them. 

I heard Ryan and Conner on the phone as my mom was talking to them, they sounded concerned so I muffled out a, “I'll be fine you pussies.”

To which my mom told me to watch my mouth and go back to sleep. And I did, for three whole days I slept. 

No worry about school or hockey, Just concerned about how my body felt like absolute hell.

Words: 789