44| Deal With It

P.O.V Hazel 

I pushed my curls behind my shoulder as I walked up to the restaurant door. Pulling my dress down slightly, Zach had picked an expensive restaurant. I didn't realize until I  was telling my mom and she informed me that there was a dress code after 4 pm.

Someone opened the door and I thanked them. I greeted the hostess with a smile.

“Hi, I believe my dates already here… Zachary Knight.” I explained.

She nodded her head guiding me through the well decorated restaurant to Zach who was sitting at the table alone.

He looked over at me with a smile the second we rounded the corner. He seemed anxious, like he thought I might not come. 

“Wow.” was all he said at first and I blushed slightly. 

He immediately got up and took off my coat and placed it on the back of the chair before pulling it out for me.

I was caught off guard by his chivalry, so much so I could only murmur a thank you. 

I sat there playing with my hands, feeling as though we were on a first date. 

“Hazel-” Zach began to say but I cut him off

“Zach, I fucked up big tim Im not quite sure how youre finding it this easy to forgive me.” I blurted out.

The whole situation seemed too easy, too uncomplicated. Almost like it was being written by an author who likes convenient relationships. 

He just shrugged.

“I'm still mad.” Zach explained.

“And you have every right to be.” I added

“But when I first found out I was blinded by anger. It's not everyday you find out that your girlfriend is practically an olympian.” 

I scuffed slightly, I wasn't an olympian yet.

“When I got past the shock, I realized something else.” He said with a slight smirk on his face.

I looked at him kind of confused, but he changed the subject before I got an explanation.

“I never realized you were dumb enough to ride a bike over a pool cover.” he said with a laugh. 

I opened my mouth with a shocked smile.

“That was one time.” I quickly defended, realizing either Conner or Killian had to have told him the story.

“Killian told me.” He answered, reading my mind, “But Conner took the time to tell me about how you thought it was possible to dig a hole big enough in the backyard to make a swimming pool.”

I looked at him in disbelief, how many stories did Conner and Killian tell him. And when did they get time to talk?

“Ok we get it im an idiot.” I joked, "God how many stupid stories did they tell you?” 

He shrugged, It was at this moment I realized his dress shirt perfectly matched the light green color of my dress. 

“Enough.” He replied with his hockey boy smirk, “enough to realize that I'd met the non hockey Hazel. The one whose favorite color is light green, loves kit kats, who would die if her netflix subscription was taken away, Whos nails always seem to have a coat of white nail polish on them, who wears silver jewelry, and only ever a small bit of mascara and peppermint chapstick, Loves too much yet loses a lot.”

He stopped for a moment as I was in a slight shock. He noticed habits about me that I'd never noticed before, like how all of my jewelry was silver and I didnt think I owned any more makeup than my mascara.