8| Help Wanted

P.O.V: Zach

If I had to read one more page of this book my mind was going to explode.

I sighed, shutting my book and tossing it to the side. Looking at the cover in defeat.

AP English was going to be the death of me.

I shut my eyes and leaned my head against the wall, I was currently just sitting criss cross on my bed.

"Zach! Dinner in ten!" I heard my mom shout from down stairs

"Ok I'll be down in a minute." I shouted back.

I looked back at the book on my bed, sorry Heart of Darkness you are not going to be read tonight.

Standing up from my bed I made my way across my room, throwing a sweatshirt over my bare torso. Knowing my mom would yell at me if a came downstairs without a shirt on.

"Zach!" I heard my dad yell

"I'm coming!" I shouted back before hustling downstairs.

As I walked down the stairs my mom gave me a look from the stove. I shrugged my shoulders before sitting down at the table next to my cousin.

"What? You said 10 minutes."

Grey, my cousin, just looked at me as if saying "don't push it she's not in a good mood."

I just nodded my head telling him I was picking up what he was putting down.

Greys mom worked night shift, so it wasn't uncommon for him to be around for dinner, or lunch, or breakfast. Why he didn't just live here never made sense to me.

My dad set a plate infront of me and I thanked him while he sat down. my mom took her seat acrossed from my dad.

I looked at the plate infront of me, grilled chicken. My mouth was watering and my stomach was begging me for food after today's practice.

The second my mom picked up her fork I began chowing down on my food.

We ate in silence and as everyone began to slow down my dad started conversation like normal.

"How was school today boys?" He asked before taking a drink from his glass.

"School." Was all Grey reply.

This time I side eyed him.

"School was fine, nothing really exciting happened." I replied setting down my fork.

"And what about practice?" My mom asked standing up from the table.

I just shrugged watching as she placed her plate in the sink.

"It was good, the seasons still getting started but I think we are getting somewhere." I explained.

My dad nodded his head. He understood hockey a lot better than my mom. He was the lacrosse coach for our school, Grey played for him. Even though it was a different sport he still understood what it took to get a season rolling.

My mom, still standing at the counter, snapped her fingers a few times thinking before she remember what she wanted to say.

Finally remembering, she stopped snapping.

"What about your mini-mite team. You got that assistant coach now."

"Hazel." I said reminding my mom of Hazels name.

"Hazel, right and how's she doing? Is it making life easier?"

Truth was it was making life easier. For last three days Hazel set up the equipment while I was finishing up practice.

She had made a calendar for all the parents and got them all signed up for an email remind.

After practice we would do the usual sit and talk in the office till her mom arrived to pick up.

I felt as though I learned so much about her, yet so little.

I could tell you her favorite color (green), her middle name (Claire), where she was from (Plainwell), and her favorite candy (kit kats).

Though I knew all the small details it felt like something major out of her life was missing.

Maybe it was because she never mentioned her dad? I'm not sure.

"Yeah she's been terrific." Was all I said keeping all the side thoughts to myself.

Grey side eyed me with a smirk.

"Is she hot?" He asked the smirk still prominent on his face.

I looked at him in shock, almost disgusted.

"It doesn't fucking matter, she does her job well and that's all I care about I stated.

"Language Zachary." My dad said giving me a dad look before standing up to clean his plate.

"Will we be seeing her around the house?" Grey asked pushing it even further.

I just rolled my eyes and stood up to take care of my plate.

Yes. Any guy could admit that Hazel was pretty, she was hot but the way her brown eyes watched every move you made was pretty. Her hair flowing behind her shoulders and the way it moved as she walked was pretty. The way she half smiled was pretty.

She was the perfect definition of a girl you weren't afraid to take home because she looked so innocent and only you knew she wasn't.

But I had no plans on taking her home, becuase I knew that the rest of the hockey team would be on her quicker than I could. Maybe Gray now too. The poor girl was going to get surrounded on her first day of school.

Which was Monday.

Hazel had told me that she would be starting this Monday. So I took the time after practice to explain to her how the school was laid out and how most classes worked. I also had given her my phone number in case she got lost.

Our school was big, like really big and I knew she was already nervous about going so I figured I would help her out.

"Alright I have to go finish my homework." I stated making my way back upstairs.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a moment as I walked up the stairs.

God I needed to take a brake and slow down. I was busy, too busy for my liking.

But if I slowed down, I would have no idea what to do with myself.

Or what I would even do with my free time.

Words: 1021