Part 9

⚠️ TW: this does involve abusive subjects. If triggering, please skip over this part. 

A lump in my throat started to form and I froze in place. 

"M?" I heard Colby asked. "Are you okay?" 

I slowly bent down and picked up the piece of paper. I set my backpack down by my small kitchen counter and made my way over to the couch, Colby following closely behind me. I sat on the couch while Colby sat next to me. I slowly unfolded the paper and started to read it... 

Dear Mal, 

The lump in my throat only got worse after those two words. 

I know you have missed me as I have missed you. I still love you ya know. Prison wasn't that bad of a place. I met other people kind of like me, and I got some new...tricks. I want to show them to you soon. It's been so long since we've seen each other, about a year, and I want you to know that I know you've been hanging out with a new group of boys, and I know their names are Colby Brock, Sam Golbach, Jake Webber, Corey Scherer, and Aaron Doh. I know more about them too, but I'll save that for later. I hope you know, if something between you and one of them happens, I'll know about it, and you won't like the outcome. Anyway, your apartment looks nice. The sandwich in the fridge was really good too. You still make them the same way you did a year ago. I guess I'll let you get back to whatever it is you're doing right now. 

Hope to see you soon, 

Mike 

I completely froze again. He knows about them now. He knows where I fucking live, he knows about the people I've been hanging out with, and he ate my food. I completely forgot Colby was next to me until I felt a hand on my shoulder and let out a small scream. 

"Are you okay?" He asked again. 

I looked at him for a second. Taking in his facial features. His eyes were full of care and worry. He had a look of concern on his face. I took a shaky breath before answering. 

"Not really," I shakily said to him quietly.

Colby just wrapped his arms around me and gave me a big hug. It was warm and felt safe. I started to cry, and before I knew it, all the tears were coming out of my body. Colby just hugged me and let me have a full on meltdown in his arms. 

After a few minutes, I calmed down and I pulled out of Colby's embrace. 

"I'm sorry," I said after a little while. 

"M," He said. "You don't have to say sorry." 

"I know," I responded, "I just feel bad. I haven't known you for too long, and you have no clue why I'm in such a panic about a note." 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He offered. "You don't have to if you don't want to." 

I took another deep breath. This one a little less shaky than the other. 

"Promise me," I started. "That you won't tell this to anyone, or talk about this to anyone until I'm ready for them to know. That even includes Amy and Will. I've already told them, but I don't think they would like it if I told you." 

"Cross my heart," He said. 

"I was 18," I started. "I had just moved to LA with Amy and Will. We decided that we wanted to go to a party one night, so that's what we did. We spent a few hours at this party and I met this guy named Mike. He seemed really nice and he asked for my number. I was a little tipsy, not much but just enough, and I gave him my number." 

"We texted for a few days after the party and he asked me if we could hang out. I didn't have much going on that day so I said yes. I texted him my address at the time and he picked me up. We went out for dinner and went to a movie. He dropped me off and we continued to text and get to know each other." 

"Skip forward a few months, and he asked me out on an official date. By now, we both had a liking for each other and we got together by the end of the night. The beginning of our relationship wasn't too bad. We were cuddly and clingy with each other, but I soon realized that I didn't really have feelings for him. I wanted to let him down easy so there was a possibility that we could still be friends, and I left little hits here and there that I wanted to break up. He just never picked up on them." 

"He took me to a carnival one night for a date," I continued. "It was that night I knew we were going to have our possibly last date. We spent the night playing games and riding rides, and on our way to his house, I just went for it." 

I paused. I took a deep breath, collecting my thoughts before I continued. 

⚠️ TW: Again, skip over this part if it might be triggering. I will summarize it at the end of this chapter so it won't be as bad for anyone this might affect. ⚠️ 

"I told him that I didn't think it was gonna work out, and I thought we were better off as friends. He didn't say anything. He just sat there staring at the road, driving to his house. When we got there, he parked his car, but didn't say anything. We sat in silence for about three minutes before he raged out and punched his steering wheel a bunch. He was cursing and yelling and calling me a bitch or an asshole." 

"I sat there, trying to get him to stop and let me out of the locked car, but he wouldn't listen to me. Instead, he slapped me across the face and pulled on my hair.  He quickly got out of the car and ran over to my side. He opened the door and yanked me out by my hair. He dragged me across the driveway and into his house. From that moment on he became very abusive and would do things to me I never thought he would." 

"It sucked. I couldn't even do anything about it. I wasn't allowed to leave the house. Amy and Will called him once, and he told them I moved in with him for a while. I would have to cook and clean everything. He would constantly get drunk and just hit me, abuse me, and use me as a sex slave. He would pleasure himself to me whenever he wanted. It went on for a few months before the neighbors were complaining of my screams late at night." 

"The cops came and sent him to jail. I guess he recently got out because he's the one who wrote the note. He called me Mal and only he ever did that. I wouldn't be surprised either if he was the one that was on the elevator with us." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: For anyone who skipped the last little part. It basically talked about how M dated a guy names Mike who she thought was super sweet, but she thought they were better as friends. She tried to break up with him, but he got abusive. He was later arrested but has recently been let out. Malory explained that only he ever called her Mal as well.