CHAPTER 11

A/N:Unedited

Kai Maureen Anderson

Upon my arrival in the Operating Room, the Pediatric surgeon from Albany Pediatric resident made an immediate approached to me. He conversed with me and provided me with the patient's genogram. Galing ang pasyente sa Emergency Room at ngayon ay trinasfer na sa Operating Room dahil sa condition nito.

A 10 year old male. The brain is inflamed by the ascending pus (nana) inside the brain.

"When did it started?" I asked.

"The family took him to the dentist two weeks ago, but they declined because he had an infection. So he was transferred to another hospital. The oral surgeon attempted to surgically remove the abscess in his tooth and gums, but the pus had made its way to the brain."

Tinignan ko ang batang pasyente and noticed his thin body, his right cheek was badly swollen. It's possible that he hasn't been able to eat properly for maybe two weeks now, resulting in his body collapsing. He was struggle to move his body as well.

I reviewed all the files, including the assessment, CT scans, MIR, and diagnosis from Kyusei Hospital. To verify the diagnosis, I request for another test and investigation from the Pathology department. In MIR, I saw that there is an abscess in his brain caused by pus. That's why, the patient was collapsing because the blood vessel is blocked by the abscess, so oxygen can't flow the brain properly.

"Doc, ano po gagawin natin?"

Tinignan ko ulit ang MIR, smaller than 1 inch?

"Wide-spectrum antibiotics." I said.

"Doc, shouldn't we perform an open surgery?"

"No, hindi umabot ng 1 inch ang sukat ng abscess kaya gagamutin natin sya ng spectrum antibiotics para mamatay ang infection. If the abscess inside is not drained after one week of treatment using the antibiotics, we will perform an open surgery to aspirate the pus in the brain."

"Yes Doc."

Sinunod nila ang sinabi ko kaya agad nilang hinanda ang antibiotics. Saka sinimulan ang treatment.

The patient was confined to a medical ward that only doctors have access to. The child's illness has impacted not only his immune system, but also his entire body. If oxygen remains blocked, it could be fatal. Other organs may impacted by complications as well. At yun ang ayaw kong mangyari.

I went out of the Operating Room and spoke with the patient's family. I gave a thorough explanation of our possible treatment options and displayed the medications we were utilizing. Currently, they comprehend and the family has given their approval. Sa totoo lang, I don't want to do an open surgery. Dahil pag nabuksan na ang brain, there are possible complications that might occurs, and not all people can carry out open surgery, especially children. It poses a risk for them, dahil mas mahina ang katawan nila kaysa sa ating mga adults.

After I talked to the patient's family, nagtungo ako sa labas ng Ospital. Full loads ako today and I was exhausted. Umupo ako sa bench habang nakatingin sa malayo
When someone's came in. Si Kate pala.

"Kate, ikaw pala yan."

"Busy ka palagi ah."

"Yeah, full loads ako, ang daming patients sa OR."

"Isn't it good? Magkaka-merit ka."

Matipid lang akong ngumiti saka humarap sa kanya.

"You keep ignoring me these days. Are you upset with me? Is everything okay with you?"