Chapter 19 • Always Watching

❦

ELIJAH has got to be the sweetest man I have ever met. "I am going to take you because I don't want anything bad to happen to you." He says while grabbing his coat near the front door.

I know couldn't talk him down this, so I just stayed quiet. Elijah unlocks his front door opening it for me to go past him and down the stairs.

"You know I can take care of myself, right?" I tell him while we walked outside of the building. "Yes I know, but I care about what happens to you." His hand goes to the passengers door. "After you" He nods his head in the direction of my seat.

I lower my body down to get into his black-interior car. "You have got to be the most stubborn woman I've ever met." He grins lightly as he sat in the car as well.

"I know you're exhausted, so I didn't want you to drive." I roll my eyes when he drives out of the parallel parking spot, to go on the street. "Yes I am exhausted, but I care about your safety more than my sleepiness."

We both stayed quiet a little while after he said that. "What are you thinking about?" He ask out of nowhere— "Thinking about how your life was" I say honestly, and he didn't answer. "Do you think you'll ever tell me what even happened?"

"I don't know, but I don't like even bringing her up." Elijah's voice was flat, her existence really did have an effect on him. "I'll have to get to know you more then, till that secret does come out, hm?" I question him, and he smiled softly as he kept his eyes on the road that was getting closer to my apartment.

"I'm afraid so." He answers as he pulls up to the front of my building. "Okay..here we are." I grab my bag getting out of the car myself, also hearing Elijah do so as well. "Don't argue, let me walk you" He raised his eyebrow at me. I didn't say anything so I started walking up to the lobby.

"You think someone is going to kidnap me just by walking into my apartment?" I joke and he replied with "you never know" once we stepped into the elevator leading up to my floor.

The second it dings I step out while going through my purse to find my keys. I walk down the hallway hearing Elijah follow behind, then I stop in front of my door. I unlock the door slowly and turned around with Elijah still there. There was a space between me in the doorway & him out in the hall.