Chapter 22

Here we go!

------

------

------

"Damien and (Y/n) have known each-other for years, since we were kids even." Ben begins, looking down at the rosie wooden table and tracing one of his rough index fingers along the edge. "Damien eventually took her in when one day she came to our friend group with the news that she had no home, seemingly out of nowhere, it's kind of weird. Literally, one day she's happy with her father at home, next thing you know she's all alone."

Leo patiently listens opposite Benjamin as the sun glares in the small apartment through a window to the left. "It was all through good intention... we were kids, and Damien had a wealthy upbringing, so naturally he was in the best position to help. (Y/n) was actually really grateful."

Leo squints and fiddles with the zipper to his jacket. "They sounded like they were close, what happened?"

Benjamin sighs. "Once our friend group split up and we all grew older, Damien inherited lots of cash, and with that he became abusive of his privilege. All the while, (Y/n) grew up to be a stunning young woman and Damien made up his mind on what he wanted next.." Ben takes a shaky breath before continuing. "Damien did whatever he could to win over (Y/n): practically throwing cash at her, but no matter what he couldn't seem to get her to give in. She didn't like him like that and that made him furious. He had always gotten what he wanted, so someone telling him 'no' made him become obsessive and controlling. It was so bad, she hardly had the ability to leave her own room."

There's a long pause, and Leo could see the tremble in Benjamin's hands. "Damien became spiteful and power-hungry, taking on shady practices and crime to release his frustration, until Damien became a known criminal in many places. Yet, he has everything he wants, almost. But if I'm being frank: with all he's done, it won't surprise me when his karma catches up."

"And (Y/n)?" Leo inquires, pushing for more.

Ben glances up at him with woeful eyes. "She reluctantly followed him. He'd worn her down so much through the years, that he successfully got her to give in." Ben closes his eyes as he begins to tell about the meat of it all. "At first everything honestly seemed like it was going alright, and Damien was showing her affection which made (Y/n) warm up to him and trust him...or so I've been told..." The brunette trails off.

"But?" Leo asks.

"Less than a year into their relationship, Damien couldn't help himself and refused to respect her, and unsurprisingly he betrayed her by fooling around with other girls until she found out. Of course (Y/n) dropped his ass after that, and she stole a huge chunk of cash from him then ran away."

Leo nods, silently affirming the validity of the story, based on what you'd confessed in the past. Yet, he still found himself surprised with all the new details Ben was spitting out.

"Damien... didn't take it well. He's been stalking her for months, because in his mind he owns her."

Silence fills the room for a long moment.

Leo looks down in thought for a long moment, then looks back up with a sickened expression. "Do you think he actually loves-" Leo gets cut off as Ben finishes his thought. "Actually loves her? No, no I don't. I know for a fact that he sees her as another object to own. His obsessive 'love' can hardly be called love at all." There was an angry bite to Bens words as he thinks about his estranged 'boss.'