Chapter 5

You woke up that morning to your alarm, hello Saturday. You shut it off and rub your eyes like a child would. You glanced around your room, but your eyes stopped at something on the floor. It was Donnie. He was asleep, likely on a pillow and blanket he'd brought. You blush and stand up. changing into a pair of shorts, but you didn't take his hoodie off. You decided to make breakfast.

As you flipped pancakes and popped toast you felt a pair of lazy arms wrap around your waist, followed by a head resting on your shoulder. You chuckle and cup Donnies cheek with a free hand- he groans and leans into your palm. "You can go back to bed." He yawns and shakes his head, but nothing more. You laugh and prepare a plate, "Here." He opens his eyes slightly and groggily takes the plate of food you had handed him.

After you finish cooking all your food, you join him in the living room. He seemed wide awake and was flipping through channels- until he came across a documentary on Mars. You smile and sit beside him. As you eat you notice Donnie taking bites of food without ever looking away from the TV. You giggle causing him to glance at you, "What?" You snort, "You're so funny." He cocks a non-existent brow since he didn't have his mask on, "How so?" You lean back on the couch, "You just are. You're so..you." Donnie moves both of your plates aside and lays beside you,

"Why me?"

You hum in confusion, Donnie reiterates,

"Why do you love me?"

You turn and face him, "Well, you're wonderful. You're fun, a nerd, and you have a sense of humor." He shrugs, "I guess." You sigh and cuddle into the crook of Donnies neck, he once again stiffens- just as he did last night. "Hey, it's okay." You stroke the plastron on his chest and he seems to relax. He places a hand on your back and kisses your head, but he didn't talk. As you traced his chest with your hand you began to hear him snore. When you peaked up, he was asleep again. You smile and grab a blanket that rests on the arm of the couch; wrapping it around the two of you. You grab the remote and are about to press the power button, but- "Leave it on.." You flinch and look up at Donnie, He had his eyes open slightly, and he looked down at you with his usual poker-face. You didn't know what to say, so you just slowly put the remote back down and snuggled back into Donnie. After he started snoring again, you wrapped his arm around your waist and drifted off yourself.

At some point you woke up, but decided not to make it obvious. You did this because Donnie was wide awake and rubbed circles on your waist as he silently watched another documentary, this one about birds.

You felt warmth rush over your body as you felt a sudden rush of happiness. This was real.

Donnie sighed and picked up the remote, turning the TV off. You then decide to 'wake up', so you push yourself up and stretch with a yawn. "Good morning." You chuckle and affectionately rub his arm, "Silly."

Donnie smiles and sinks back into the couch.

The room was comfortable. It wasn't hot or cold. It wasn't bright or dark. It was just a perfect atmosphere. You smile and sink down beside him. "What have you been doing while I was asleep?" Donnie smirks, "Literally nothing." You laugh and yawn again. "I guess all of that crying did a number on me." You were amused by your comment, but Donnie's face fell, you immediately noticed. "Hey.. uh.. you know I forgive you right?" Your assumed new boyfriend nods his head, "I know, I just feel bad for being so careless."

You shake your head and sit up straight, "You have nothing to be sorry for.. you didn't know I like you."

Donnie grubles and grabs your hand, "That doesn't matter, I hurt you."

You squeeze his hand a little, "Don't beat yourself up Donnie.. Nothing good ever comes of it." He stares intently at you for a few moments, presumably trying to find something to say. However, he came up with nothing.

Donnie sulks and covers his face with one of his hands. He must be really upset with himself.. He almost never shows emotion this much. So, you lean in and rest your forehead against his, "It's okay Donnie. I promise."

He let out a shaky sigh and pulled you into a sudden tight hug. "But I hurt you." His hands balled into fists and he gripps to his hoodie. "I don't deserve to be loved by you after that.. Not yet."

The two of you sit dormant like that for several minutes in silence. That's when Donnie slowly pulls away and stands up. His face was stiff and blank. He looked like the Donnie you'd met a year ago, the one who never smiled or talked.

He runs a hand over his face and down the back of his neck, then speaks, "Look, what we talked about last night and what's starting between us is great.. but.. I don't think something this good is something I'm ready for.."

There's a long pause and you try to comprehend what he was saying. He continues, "I think we should wait a little bit; get a feel for each other in a romantic sense before we start anything." He refuses to look you in the eye. "I just need to prove I'm worthy of such a wonderful person."

You don't know what to say, after all that..

You feel like crying again.

Donnie peeks at you for a small second, but can't seem to bare the face you were making, "See? I'm hurting you again.. This isn't something I'm cut out for right now. I'm insensitive and closed off and small-minded."

You continue to stare at him with eyes that began blurring with tears.

Donnie exhales sharply. He actually reaches out towards you for a second, but forces his hand back as he holds his other hand over his face for composure.

After another long moment of motionless silence, he takes a step towards your room. "I want to prove myself, and learn to not hurt you anymore."

He glanced back at you for the shortest moment. Your face was heartbreaking to say the least.

Donnie averts his gaze and clenches his fists, using one to lightly punch the top of his head. You see his mouth open as if he wanted to say something else, but he didn't. Instead, he ran to your room and you hear your window open.

You stagger to your feet and stumble your way to your room. But it's too late, When you reach the doorway you only manage to see Donnie finish tying his mask and turn on his shell before flying out of sight.

You stagger to your bed and fall onto it. You felt.. You felt so many things..

What do you do now?

You couldn't be mad at him.. He was doing it for a good reason.

You're broken from your trance at the sound of your phone buzzing. Wiping the tears from your cheeks, you look over to your phone that rested on the far corner of the bed. You had to blink a few times to see who it was. Once the blur of tears faded, you saw who it was. 

It was Leo.