Chapter 25

Leo slowly lowers you and reluctantly parts from your arms, subsequently leaving you to feel a flare of goosebumps pinch your skin in the absence of his warmth. Leo hides his face as he attempts to dry it, the shoulder of your shirt was now damp with his tears, but that wasn't what you were worried about. "Do you want to go on a walk? Maybe a change of scenery would help, we can get some take-out if you want?" Leo rips his arms away from his face. "No!" You lean away from him a bit, clearly baffled by his loud and sudden outburst, causing Leo to backpedal. "I-I mean, I would really like a shower right now. I feel all cakey with the fingerpaint and glitter, y'know?"

You laugh softly and tug at the sleeve of his jacket. "What about your jacket? It's bound to be covered in the stuff by now. Plus, what about Maddie, she obviously worked so hard on it!" The guilt-tripping nature of your tone makes Leo grimace as he looks away; his attention pointed towards the front door, whilst eyeing a small moth that was going crazy for the over-hanging lightbulb. "I know, I'll miss being the most handsome canvas in history, but I think a shower would really help me loosen up."

You carefully pat his arm and smile up at him, even though his eyes were trained elsewhere. "Well, you're more than welcome to take a shower, once his majesty exits his bath." Leo's face is graced with the slightest smile as a deep exhale leaves him, he could always count on you to tease Donnie with him. The thought of his brother creates an empty void in his stomach, as the reality of what he had to do came back to him. "Um, speaking of Donnie, I think I'm going to go talk to him real quick. Is that okay with you?"

You nod up at him and your arm loosely gestures to the door. "Go ahead, I don't mind. I think I'll stay out here a bit longer though, if that's okay with you." You don't fail to catch the way, Leo's expression becomes tense, and he looks your entire face over as he appears deep in thought. The debate in his brain was loud. Should he convince you to come inside? Or should he let you relax out here? His fears were strong, but the urge to make you happy was stronger, he couldn't just keep you on a leash forever. And eventually one side of the fight won. "Alright, just be careful, okay?"

The way Leo slips your hands into his makes your head and neck begin to swelter. You feel your heart thump as you can't help your smile that seems to be unwavering as the tingling in your face intensifies. "Of course, you have nothing to worry about." Leo's eyes dart from one side of your face to the other once again, and he can't bring himself to say anything to dispel you. "I know." A part of him wanted to leave this moment on a high note. His smile is tired and his eyes are lazy, as he leans forward and pauses just a small way from your face. As you stare into his eyes, eagerly anticipating what he is going to do, it looks like he has a few thoughts that make him falter for a moment, but he seemed to ignore them as he indulged in his desire.

Seeing Donnie capture your lips time and time again was far too much to bear any longer. He wanted to know what it felt like to share a connection so intimate. Something with a meaning so deep for some, but so selfish for others. Leo wonders if he'd feel a swell in his heart, reminiscent of flowers blooming, or a show of fireworks. Or the pang of selfish desire when he follows through, like a gluttonous sinner, unable to control their own temptations. Especially as he thinks about the way his heart swells for you with songs he wishes he could sing and serenade you with, the want to sweep you away for himself was like holding back a cage of hungry lions. He knows kissing you will open up a whole new array of complicated avenues, and that he should probably back away and restrain himself. However, as you look at him; nervous and expecting of his next move, he just can't resist the tempting siren song your lips sing to him, and he closes the gap only an inch-or-so between you.

Just like that, he felt the pressure in his chest burst and he felt honest with himself for the first time in a while, finally listening to the ache in his chest. You felt so warm and cozy to him, like a blanket that had just been taken out of a dryer. Perfect for the cold night air around him.