Chapter 8 - a liar

Dedicated to @CamStLaurentsfood ❤️

Kara

I heard the crunch of asphalt under my tires as I slid my car into the farthest parking spot I could find. I turned off the ignition and stared at the bright display before me.

They had set up a drive-in theatre on the campus grounds—three tower spotlights and a massive projector. It was getting dark, but the place was lit up like a strip club. Add in alcohol drinks hidden in tumblers (alcohol wasn't allowed) and drunk, horny college kids. It was the perfect stage for a zombie apocalypse, wouldn't you say?

Three guys were leaning against an open tailgate in front of my parking spot, giggling, trying to hide the fat roll they were smoking. I jumped in alarm as one of the inebriated zombies slapped the hood of my car, waving his arms around telling me to join the paaarteeeh!

I flipped him double birds. "Paws off my car, dickface."

He just laughed at me. At least one of us was in a good mood.

I let out a deep breath, trying to expel the negativity. I was usually a very upbeat, very happy, very positive person who loves everything.

Fuck. I hate drive-in theatres. More, I hate the memories that came with it.

"You must know what you're doing to me."

Fuck. Fuck.

"Cameron, do you want me?"

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"I hope it rains. I hope there's a snowstorm. I hope a giant monster deep from the seas comes out and takes a giant dump on everything."

I rested my head on the wheel. I don't want to be here.

If Veronica didn't ask, I wouldn't have come. She rarely asked for anything, so this must be really important for her.

She even sent a text, which meant this was a big deal. Her small, rectangle, dinosaur-age flip phone was a pay-as-you-go and cost her a dollar a text. And she guarded her pennies like a mother dragon guarding her kid's college fund.

I had no choice. I checked my make-up in the mirror—reapplied my lip gloss, lightly brushed highlighter on my cheekbones, then slapped my cheeks. Perfect.

I got this.

I sent Veronica a text.

The inside of the building wasn't as crowded as I walked down the halls. Colourful banners were hung strategically and two long tables were placed against one wall, topped with donated used books and other paraphernalia for students to take if they want.

"Hi!" A guy with a clipboard approached me. His smile reached his scalp. "My name's Fernando. We're doing a survey at the moment."

I pretended I didn't hear him. He followed me.

"Can you share what your favourite hobby is?"

"I like to pick my nose for fun," I said and kept walking.

"Picking your nose. Gotcha. Me too!"

Strangely cheered up, I shot him a smile and gave him a thumbs-up. Before I could turn, Fernando zoomed in on someone else, stepping in front of them to stop them from walking.

I watched in amusement as Veronica took two steps back, looking at him warily, but listening to his question.

"...survey. Can you share what your favourite hobby is?"

"I like walking through walls," Veronica answered, deadpan, and kept walking.

"Walking through walls! Me too. Amazing!" Fernando exclaimed.

"Hey, Ver."

"Hey, Kar."

She didn't smile; she rarely did, but her beautiful dark eyes lit up when she spotted me. It made me want to pinch her cheek, which I did.

"Ever walked through a wall and came out to the men's washroom?"

She rubbed her cheek. "Ow. Not yet."

"How about crawling up the ceiling? You like that too?"

"Only on weekends."

This time she smiled. And when she did, I couldn't help but smile back.

She'd carelessly tied her long hair in a high ponytail, tendrils escaping and curling on the side of her face. She was the type of girl who looked sexy as hell without even trying. In jeans, a simple white shirt and jacket, she still stood out. And yet, I could tell she was shy.

It was a very appealing mix. No wonder Lockhart was attracted.

Caleb Lockhart was no doubt a gorgeous, nice guy, but he was also a player. If Veronica decided she wanted to be with him, I would understand, but I was very protective of the people I loved. And I already loved Veronica. I was looking forward to seeing how they were together.

I pointed at the drink she was holding with my lips. "What you got there?"

"Got you a milk shake. With almond milk."

"Aw. My favourite. They don't sell this on campus. Thanks, Ver. Aw, thanks."

She didn't have a car, and the store where they sold this drink was a fifteen-minute walk from the campus and another fifteen-minute walk back. She didn't say anything but looked pleased when I took a sip of my drink. How could I not love this sweet, quiet girl?

I realized that despite my promise to Tala that I'd eat something, I hadn't had anything but coffee today, so this was perfect. I was feeling so wired of who I was going to see tonight and how hard I was trying not to think too much about him, that I barely had an appetite. I forced myself to take another sip.

"Here." I handed her the strawberry scented hand lotion as we started walking. "Cleaned my drawer, found ten of these." If I told her I bought it for her, she wouldn't accept it.

She looked at it but didn't reach for it.

"It's expiring soon," I lied. "So, unless I eat it or you use it, it'll just go to waste. Take your pick."

She took it. "Thanks, Kar."

I glanced at her hands. They were dry and cracked from working part-time at a restaurant. "Use it now. Tell me if you like the scent. I thought it smelled like your shampoo."

She uncapped the bottle, applied a little bit of it on her hands, sniffed. "I like it very much."

She had her head down, still looking at the lotion, but I notice a soft barely-there smile on her lips. She took a sip of her drink.

"Good. Have you seen what they got going on outside? Drive-in theatre, huh?" We turned to another hallway. "Five bucks says someone will change that boring-ass movie we're supposed to watch to porn."

She choked on her drink.

We chatted as I led her to the South Gym. My palms started to sweat as we neared the doors. We were close.

It had been a long time since I came here to watch him play. A long, long time. So why did it feel like he and I just walked out of here yesterday? Laughing, smiling, touching each other as though we'd touch each other for a lifetime. As though it would never end.

Wrong.

"Kar—"

I heard the guilt and concern in Veronica's voice, and I couldn't focus on that right now or I'd break apart.

"I'm absolutely fine. I'm made of steel," I announced. The South Gym doors stared at me, daring me to open them. Mustering all my courage, I pushed them open. "Steel baby."

A/N: Please make me smile and vote by clicking the star at the bottom of your screen!

Hi loves! Do you have a best friend? Where and how did you meet? Writing the early stages of Kara and Veronica's friendship makes me so happy. I hope you're enjoying it.

I'm looking forward to the next chapters aaah! Kara and Cameron, my heart. See you in the next one! :)