Chapter 14 - you

Cameron

I gritted my teeth and opened it.

And... nothing.

I felt nothing as I stood in the doorway, my eyes taking in the interior of the house. Big windows let in a lot of light, but despite the brightness, it smelled of abandonment and emptiness. A quick scan revealed the living room, dining room and kitchen had no furniture.

I gripped the doorjamb with both fists as confusion, disappointment and relief hit me all at the same time. I was expecting a great reveal, an enlightenment to my nightmares. Not... this. It was just a house like any other.

I stepped inside, slowly made my way down the hallway. Panic swamped me like a tidal wave, throwing me down to my knees, stealing my breath. The stairs in my nightmare was in front of me.

Images bombarded me like flashing lights. My palms slapped on the floor to keep me up. My breathing was harsh and loud as I fought against the terror in my belly, in my chest, in my throat, desperately pulled in air to breathe.

Someone was shouting my name.

"Cameron! Dear God, Almighty, what is wrong with ya? Cameron!"

Everything was blurry as I opened my eyes. I blinked rapidly, clearing the image in front of me. Romeo's face was flooded with worry and concern.

"Here, boy. Drink this."

He uncapped a water bottle and handed it to me. I drank gratefully.

"Somebody died here," I said. My voice sounded like sandpaper.

"Yes," he answered solemnly, his eyes grave. "Somebody did."

"I don't..."

"Listen here, boy." I watched as he took a small notepad from his pocket, heard the scratching of pen on paper as he wrote something on it, ripped it. "Ya take this. Ya call him. He was there that night, my son, Joel. This is his number. He's a cop. I don't know what he can tell ya as he wouldn't tell me nothing about it, but if ya want to know more, ya call him. Ya hear?"

My hands shook as I reached for the paper in his hand.

"I wrote his address here for ya as well, just in case. He's on a holiday. Not sure where he's flying this time, but talk to him before he leaves, ya hear?

"Thank you."

"Now go on. Don't ya come back here again. Not in this house. Ya are very welcome to visit mine." His smile was kind. "My Mary turns those apples ya like so much into the best sweetest pies. Ya can have all ya want."

When I managed to finally get back in my truck and Romeo had gone home, I stared at the house in my nightmare. When I was on my knees in front of those stairs, I knew the images that played in my head right in that moment were my real memories. Why had I forgotten them? There were still a lot of pieces missing.

I stared at the number on the paper. The sound of my phone chirping startled me.

"Fuck!"

I grabbed it and read the text.

Caleb: Don't forget to buy your dress for my birthday. Pink looks good on you. Sent you the invite. Sunday. Be there.

I slumped against my seat, leaned my head back. I slipped my hand in my pocket, wrapped Kara's blue hair tie in my fist.

Kara's blue hair tie was my glass in the sink.

A/N: Hi loves, how are you? I hope you are well and you are happy. There are two chapters I just published today. Make sure you read part one (chapter 13) and part two (chapter 14). I hope you enjoyed reading them! I just love it when Cameron and Caleb are together. 😊 I'm working on chapter 15 right now and hope to finish it soon! I will keep you updated on my Instagram @isabelleronin

How's the weather in your area? I can't wait for spring! Sunlight. Warmer weather. I am very much looking forward to that. I'll see you soon! Love, Isabelle