Chapter 20 - to

Kara

When I was a child, I used to question why God didn't rescue me whenever I needed Him. I wanted Him to punish my enemies right there and then and fly me somewhere where people were not mean and cruel. There had to be a place where my family and I could live in peace, a place where there were no malicious, jealous, manipulative people that caused pain.

But now that I'm older, I realized that He had always been with me. He would never put me through something I couldn't endure or a situation that was too much for me to handle. He is always faithful, merciful, generous even when I didn't deserve it, teaching me what I needed so I could be a stronger person, loving me even through my faults.

And I knew, as I watched the face of my brother, Dylan, even with the fear and horror ravaging his face, that there was strength and purpose in him as he pulled me and Veronica out of the burning building of our shop, out of the suffocating fire and smoke to safety. And that God was with us in this moment.

My little brother, Dylan.

"Kara, Kara." Dylan's grip on my arms was so hard that it hurt, but loosened as his knees gave out and he crumpled in front of me. "Kara, I'm so sorry I got mad at you. I'm so sorry," he sobbed, shivering like a puppy. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm okay, I'm fine," I said, coughing as I embraced him. My lungs hurt and my eyes watered from the sharp sting of smoke. The intense heat from the fire felt like my skin was melting.

Behind Dylan, I could hear the terrifying pop and crackle of the flames, like a monster munching and snapping on bones, see the fire eat the walls of the old bay that had been there since we opened our business. The office where we were was untouched by the fire when Dylan pulled us out. If the fire wasn't put out soon, it would spread to the office and the new bay.

"Are you hurt anywhere?"

He shook his head as my hands frantically checked him for injuries. There was no bleeding, no sign that he was hurt physically.

"No," he sobbed. Tears soaked his face and mixed with the dirt and soot. "I'm... I'm not hurt."

"Ver?"

Veronica squeezed my arm, silently telling me she was alright. I squeezed her back, relieved that she looked unharmed. Hands shaking, Veronica dialed 911 and talked to emergency services. I was grateful.

"Dad?" Horror clawed its way up my throat. "Dylan, where's Dad?"

All the guys had punched out for the day, and only Dad and Dylan were left at the bay when I heard the explosion.

"He... He's not..." His head turned, searching in panic.

I gripped his arms, shaking him so he could look at me. "Where is he?"

"He told me to pull you and Veronica out of the office. The fire... the fire was in the old bay, and Vlad was still... He wasn't sure if Vlad was still in the back room, so he..."

"No. No, no..."

My body moved before my mind did with every intention of running back to the old bay to save my dad, but Dylan held my arm with an iron grip. He rose, a look of determination in his eyes.

"Stay here, Kara. I'll go find them."

The sound of sirens pierced the air, and I knew the fire department would be here soon. But there was no way I could wait for them. Nor would I let Dylan go. Every second counted.

Just then, I saw two figures walk out of the smoke. It was my dad, with Vlad leaning heavily against him.

"Dad! Vlad!"