Chapter 34 - yours

Kara

The bird was barking.

Groaning, I covered myself with a blanket, discovered it was missing. I opened one eye, got blinded by the sun.

"Ungghhh..."

The bird barked again.

"Begging you to shut the hell up."

I lifted my head slightly and stretched my feet, opened one eye, saw the blanket plopping on the floor as my legs hit it off the bed.

"Ugh. It's too faaaar to get now," I mumbled. "Might as well get up."

But I collapsed on the bed again spread-eagle, closed my eyes, yawned. And smiled as I felt the bed dip and a solid, warm body with arms like steel gathered me close.

"Good morning, Spitfire."

I snuggled closer to Cameron, buried my face in his chest. He smelled like the forest in the morning, sunlight, and the cool, sensual blue scent that clung to his skin.

"Mornin'," I muttered against his shirt, trying to cover my morning breath.

"I made you coffee. Want toast with it?"

I nodded, suddenly feeling overwhelmed. This was our normal routine when we were together and to be here with him again felt surreal.

"What's wrong, baby?" he asked.

He shifted away to look at my face, his finger tipping my chin up. The blue in his eyes was so vivid, so intense that it always made my heart skip a beat.

"Kara."

His face was extremely distracting that I almost missed the trouble and concern in his eyes if not for the tone of his voice.

"Did you change your mind?" he asked quietly.

Change my mind...? About us?

I shook my head, my arms going around him as I buried my face in his neck. "Don't ask me that ever again. I love you. I'm just...really glad we're together again."

I felt the tension in his shoulders disappear.

"And also, coffee."

He let out a low laugh. The sound felt so good in my ears especially after yesterday. "All right, coffee and toast, it is," he said.

But my arms held him close to me, stopping him from moving away.

"That's it. You leave me no choice," he said playfully.

Gripping my hips, he picked me up as he rose. I squealed as I hung onto him like a koala as he walked in the kitchen.

I couldn't see what he was doing, but I could feel his brawny arms moving. I rested my chin on his shoulder, my nose on his neck, marvelling at this moment.

"The weekend is over tomorrow. I don't want to go back yet," I said to his hair.

"We can stay here as long as you want."

"Can't. The shop's opening this week. We're putting everything back together tomorrow. Don't you have any projects right now?"

"I'm taking a break until next year, so I'll concentrate on the reno on the mansion for now, finish as much as I can before I start taking projects again." The smell of crispy toast filled the kitchen.

"Speaking of taking a break, that reminds me, we always planned to go to BC before, but we never did."

I pulled away to look at him.