Chapter 25 - in return

3 chapters posted today. Chapters 23, 24, 25. You are reading chapter 25.

Kara

Cameron Jeremiah Saint Laurent strode in, eyes locked on me instantly.

My mind panicked for one single second before incredulity set in. Did he follow me here? To spy on me?

Suddenly my thoughts hurled me back to that day when I interrupted his date at the vegetarian restaurant. If Cameron decided to approach my table and tell Trip something equivalent to my can only get it up with drugs speech, I guessed that would be a kind of an eye for an eye type of shit.

Although I thought he was on a romantic date. Not that it was any of my business at the time since we were already broken up.

Coming here with Trip wasn't a date. Although the way Trip was looking at me, he looked like he was going to ask me out.

Would Cameron think the reason why I hadn't talked to him about us was because of Trip? Why did Cameron have to be here right now? I wished mist would magically come up from the walls and cloak me, teleport me. Something.

Bish, stop overthinking. Geez.

Cameron joined the line in the order station. He was only several feet away from our table where he can clearly overhear us, but even so, it was hard not to be aware of him. A gorgeous, tall, and muscular guy in construction gear.

Cameron was like an eagle in a solarium of butterflies. He walked with confidence and purpose. Everyone in the room knew he was at the top of the food chain. All eyes in the shop was turned to him, unable to ignore someone like him who exuded such an irresistible force. Some were visibly admiring, some weary or intimidated.

It hit me that he could have gotten anyone in this room if he wished. The thought of him with another girl irritated me. So, what did he want with me anyway?

"You asked why I wanted to come home to see you," Trip said.

I turned my attention back to Trip. The door jangled several times, distracting me again. The small coffee shop was filling up quickly. And it was Cameron's turn to order.

"It will take just a couple of minutes," the cashier sang. Her voice was definitely not that high and breathy when she took our order earlier. My eyes turned to catch her batting her eyelashes at Cameron. I gritted my teeth.

"There's a reason why, Kara," Trip continued.

Can you be any ruder? Trip is trying to talk to you. Pay attention! Ignore Bigfoot.

Feeling guilty and discourteous, I straightened and tried my best to concentrate on what Trip was saying.

"Why what?" I asked.

"Why I wanted to come home and see you," he repeated, looking at his coffee cup now.

My eyes widened in shock as Cameron sat at the table behind ours, so that he was facing me and Trip's back was to him. What the hell? The audacity! I narrowed my eyes at him. He leaned back against his seat, no trace of emotion on his face. His eyes moved from my face to my iced coffee, then back to my face.

"I meant what I said at the bonfire," Trip said. I turned my eyes back to Trip when he lifted his gaze.

"Wha-what's that?"

"I want to get to know you better. I was wondering if you would like to go out with me sometime."

"Order number seven!" the cashier crooned.

Cameron got up.

"I know it's been a minute since high school," Trip continued, "but I always wanted to get to know you better even back then. And more so now."