Chapter 19 - give

Cameron

I parked my motorcycle between a Jaguar and a Rolls Royce. The line-up of luxury vehicles in the parking lot spoke of what kind of affair it was. The dress code was formal, and for a moment I wondered if they'll sic security on me if I were wearing my jeans and hoodie instead of the tux I had on.

Pulling my helmet off, I shook my hair, let it fall where it wanted. If they wanted me to wear it a certain way, they should've written it on the invite.

Like a picture on a postcard, the lights from the estate created a warm glow that could be seen from miles away. I could hear the muted classical music from the party as I walked up the stone steps to the manor grounds, the buzz of conversation, the clinking of champagne glasses. People.

I wanted to go home.

I rarely attended Caleb's birthday parties. If Rick wasn't out of town with his sister, he would have been here with me. And if Caleb didn't tell me that Kara would be here, I wouldn't be here.

These parties weren't for Caleb. Not really. It was an affair for rich business owners, mostly wheeling and dealing money with each other and their investors.

But Kara was invited, and Caleb said she would be here with Veronica. Maybe she was here already. Excitement spiked in my chest.

She knew I was coming. Was she looking forward to it like I was? Or did she hate that I was invited?

What would she wear tonight? How would she look at me this time? Would she even look at me, talk to me?

Was she thinking of me like I was thinking of her? Maybe she wasn't thinking of me at all.

Servers in black and white uniform glided through the crowd, carrying a tray of drinks or hors d'oeuvres. One of them offered me a flute of champagne. I declined.

I disliked champagne, especially not fond of anything in a wine glass. It reminded me too much of my childhood.

On the stage, a woman was playing a violin, another a cello, and a man a piano. It was nice. People paraded in their fine clothes. I recognized some of them. Miranda, Caleb's mother, had all the right connections. Wealthy businessmen, politicians, movie directors, actors, artists. Even the air smelled like money.

A very busy person and always away on business, I had only met Caleb's mother a handful of times. She was in charge of a very successful chain of hotels, after all, but those handful of times were very memorable.

She was a small woman with a powerful presence whenever she entered a room. I thought she was intimidating, but whenever Caleb or Ben would embrace her or have a conversation with her, she looked like... how I pictured a mom would be.

She would laugh, and her eyes would shine and fill with affection. And when it was time for her to leave on business again and she'd say her goodbyes to her sons, I'd catch a sad look in her eyes that said she didn't want to be away from them. Then she didn't look intimidating anymore. She looked lovely.

She'd always been kind to me and made me feel welcome in her home. I wanted to find her, say hello, but she was nowhere to be seen.

She was probably parading Caleb around, introducing him to everyone, doing small talk. Caleb enjoyed it though. Sick bastard.

"Cam?"

I turned around. It was Ben. His long blond hair was swept back from his handsome face, making the square of his jaw more prominent. He was tall and built like he was made to wear a suit, but I knew he was strong as an ox.

When I was in high school, Ben had joined me and Caleb in renovating houses for Rick. He'd been the big brother I never had. He gave me shit when needed, cared for me the same way he cared for his brother, Caleb.