Chapter 32 - I have

Previously on Wicked in Love

Kara

He looked at me for a long moment. Then, "Tell me I'm not drunk right now. That I'm not just imagining you're here. I'm not dreaming."

His words twisted something inside my chest because I had a strong suspicion that he really meant them.

"You're not. I'm here, Cam. I'm not a dream." Deciding to shake off the dark mood, I added, "Now tell me what you've been doing up here." I shot him a grin. "Aside from me, that is."

He laughed again. I loved the sound of it. I always did. And it finally shook away all the darkness.

*

"Shit. Kara."

"What?" The sudden alarm in his tone made me sit up on his stomach, straddling him.

"Condom."

I worried my bottom lip. "I know. I'm supposed to get my period very, very soon. It should be okay." It should be, I hoped.

I'm sure that's what your mama said too when she got pregnant with you.

Shhh, bish! I knew exactly when my period was due.

Then why is your heart in your stomach right now?

That is just...my digestion at work.

What if you're pregnant? You're not ready to have a kid. Do you think Cameron is? What are you going to do?

I wasn't on the pill, and we always used protection. This had never happened before, but this time the need for each other was too intense we both just lost it. It shocked me. I thought my resolve of always being responsible when it comes to sex was foolproof.

It proved how human I was. It was humbling. But, I vowed, this couldn't happen again. It was risky and irresponsible.

No matter what, if I was pregnant, I will keep this baby, this gift from God.

He studied my face. "Kara."

I looked down on my hands. "What if...?"

"It scares the hell out of me, but..." He waited until I looked up and met his steady gaze. "If you're pregnant, then you're both mine. I will protect both of you with everything I got."

My shoulders sagged with relief, making me realize how stiff my body had become, how worried I was. And I was able to tuck away my concerns for now.

"Cam, I never slept with anyone else. Just you."

He growled low in his throat, hands reaching to the back of my neck and pulling me down for a kiss. I kissed him back. Then placed my palms on his chest and pulled away to look at him.

"What about you?"

"No," he said simply.

"Not even once?"

"After I met you, not even once." His thumb brushed my bottom lip. "When I left, I missed you all the time. When it got really bad, I thought about sleeping with other women might make me forget you. But I couldn't. Didn't want anyone else. Don't want anyone but you, Kara."

My heart melted. "Cameron." Now I was the one who leaned down and gave him a kiss. Then I looked up at the tree house. "Can I see it?"

"I don't know if the storm damaged the structure. Let me check it first."

"Aw. Why are you so sweet, Cam? Why are you so sweet?"

He propped himself up on his elbows, scowling at me. "I'm not sweet. I'm...practical."