Cormac

Kyla Kieran is running a business on her own at 16 years old, and she's exhausted to say the least

Kyla Kieran is running a business on her own at 16 years old, and she's exhausted to say the least. She wakes up in the morning to be open by 9 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m.

Afterwards she stays to crunch the numbers she makes.

Kyla has always been independent, but considering she's the only employee, manager, and owner of The Stop, that kind of work takes a toll on anyone.

The only upside is that she gets to decide her own pay, and she'll be damned if she doesn't give herself a nice "little" bonus every month. Her mother leaves for a month or so at a time, only staying long enough to fool and onlookers, and she's gone again. But this time has been gone longer than usual, the only indication that she's alive is the Venmo requests and the emoji 🤑 that comes with it.

Needless to say, Martha's relationship with her daughter is strictly professional. Kyla stays strong, but she always fears someone might become suspicious.

Kyla

"Hey Cormac!" I greet my new regular with a smile, and he does the same.

"Hey, little Kyla. Just need some lighter fluid and I'm gone, I promise." He gestures to the sandwich and chips I left on the counter to greet him.

"Oh please. I eat all throughout my shift." I wave it off.

"How was the first night with the campers?" I ask him.

"Awesome. I think the Luke kid is warming up to the place." I roll my eyes.
"Didn't you say you had a stand off with him yesterday?" I lead him to the lighter fluid. He shrugs.

"Yeah but he had a good time at the fire last night, so.." I shake my head.

"Here, if your gonna be doing s'mores it's best if you use these to light the fire. And if you're gonna do a ritual where you burn all your personal belongings, you'll use this." I hand him the fire-starter logs and then my best lighter fluid. He laughs and follows me to the register.

"Hey so I over heard you the other day when you said you ran the place with your mom." I nod at his words, ringing his items and telling him the total.

"I haven't seen any body other than you these past few days." I shrug it off and he hands me the cash.

"Well, I don't work much during the school year, and my mom works all throughout that time, so during the summer, I usually man the store and she crunches the numbers either at home or after hours." I bag his items and give him his change.
"Alone? There's no other employees?" He asks. Shit.

"Uh, not right now, no." I try to say with nonchalance, but I'm getting nervous. He nods slowly. Please let it go, Cormac, please.

He gives me a bright smile before waving goodbye, walking out the door. My tense body relaxes. That was close, too close. I take out my phone as it dings and I see another Venmo request from my mom.

"Jesus, Martha."  I roll my eyes, sending her the money with my usual 😑🤮 emojis. Fucking bitch. The bell rings as another customer enters.

"Hey again, Donno! Still don't wanna try my frozen sandwiches?"

"Throw that one away. I brought one I made, a real one."