Check Up

Beau and Cassie make their way to Sunny's after following a lead on the missing backpacker they've been looking for

Beau thought it'd be worth his ex wife's wrath to spy on his daughter, and Cassie wanted to look at her eye candy, Cormac. As she spots him, she notices he looks distraught. She follows him to the storage shed.

"Hey, Cormac." He turns to her in surprise as he puts the supplies away.

"Woah now. Are you stalking me?" He teases with a smile. She chuckles.

"No, it's just- I uh, noticed you looked a little troubled, wanted to pick your brain." She tells him. He stops, thinking again about Kyla.

"It's probably nothing." He's hesitant to say, not wanting to cause the young girl any trouble.

"If it's enough to make you zone out, I think it could be." He closes the storage before walking back to where everyone else is.

He suddenly gets an idea when they walk closer to Beau's earshot, who is just walking away from his daughter, who spotted him almost immediately, some spy he is.

"There's this store on the edge of town, it's called 'The Stop'. There's hardly a person passing through the town that doesn't go there eventually. May be the clerk there could help with your case." He suggests. Cassie's brows furrow.

"That's a great idea, actually. Thank you so much." She says. He nods as she gestures to Beau. They start to walk away.

"Hey, Cassie, Beau." He calls out. They both stop, turning to him.

"I know how perceptive you are. If you notice anything else about the store or the people in it, just know you're right." He says. The pair look at each other, frowning.

"What do you think that was about?" Beaus asks as they drive to the store as Cormac suggested. Cassie shakes her head.

"No idea. But he just came from there. It was on the bag he was unpacking. May be the clerk said something. All I know is I want to figure it out. He just seemed so troubled about it." Beau stares at her before looking ahead, laughing.

"Sure you're not just worried about him? Eye candy isn't as yummy when it's upset." He laughs when she smacks his shoulder.

"No." They pull up to the store and walk inside.

Kyla

I hear the welcome bell and walk out of the back to greet the customers.

"Hey folks! How can I help you?" I smile at them. They both stop in their tracks.

"Hey, I'm Cassie Dewell I'm a Private Investigator and this is Beau Arlen. The town Sheriff." He nods in greeting, looking around the store. Fuck Fuck Fuck.

"I'm Kyla."

"Uh are you an employee here?" She asks, frowning. I nod.

"My mom owns it. I'm helping her out for the summer." I lean against the counter, trying to relax a little.

"Okay well. Were you working here about a week ago?" I nod. And everyday since.

"There's this missing backpacker that hasn't been seen in a few days, we were wondering if may be you saw him? Spoke to him, anything?" Oh god. She shows me his picture and I immediately recognize him.

"Yeah. He came by about five days ago I think. He came in for some Neosporin and a battery pack. I made him buy it because he told me he was interested in going to dead man's drop. It's no good to lose your phones battery when you get to anywhere up there with service. He told me his family makes him check in." I tell them.

"Missing?" I question. Cassie nods.

"Are you alright, kid?" The Sheriff asks.

"I mean it's not every day you recall an encounter with someone that's missing, I really thought he'd be alright. He said he's been hiking and traveling for years. He seemed really experienced." I say. Cassie nods.

"I'm sure it's just a matter of reception, sweetie. No need to worry." She tells me. I nod.

"This shop is cozy. You got seating anywhere? Might come on my lunch break sometime." I nod, gesturing to the area with some tables.

I perk up, turning to the counter and handing them my punch card.

"If you like slushees, you get a discount on a sandwich per punch and one free slushee a week." I hand them to them.

"So where is your mom?" Cassie asks.

"Not here. It's mainly me for the summer unless I want a day or two off." I shrug.

"Does your mom have any other employees?" Beau asks.

"Uh, sometimes." I answer. They both shift their eyes.

"You know kid you look pretty tired. If you're working too much your mother could be-"

"Woah now, come on." I stop him.

" I like my job. If I wanted to, I could work less hours but I like them the way they are. Besides as long as I don't have to count the numbers or do the taxes I'm fine working up here." But I do both of those things.

They both look at each other, then at me. Am I caught? Will I have to close the store? Will they put me in some fucked up foster home? I can't believe this right now.

"Where is your mom, Kyla?" Cassie repeats.

" I don't know." I whisper. They both freeze.