Beau

"Well, why would you do that for me in the first place? You don't even know me." He sits at his desk and turns to me, nodding his head with a small shrug.

"I have a daughter your age. She lives with her mom." He starts. I nod.

"Not a great start there, Beau. Seems like you're trying to live vicariously through me." I say. He sighs.

"That's not it. I promise. It's just that, I would never let my daughter live alone let alone run my god damn business. I have a very big problem with the fact that your mom did that to you." He puts his hands together on his desk. It really would be the best option, wouldn't it? Better than my mom, better than foster care... I hope.

"Okay. I accept." I cross my arms as I lean against the wall.

"Really? That's great then. It might take a minute but I'll make some calls." He smiles. I nod.

"Do I call you dad now?" I laugh.

"Very funny, kid." He chuckles.

"Ooh, will I get to go to crime scenes with you?"

"Not a chance."

"Oh please, please." He shakes his head.
"Go see Cormac, troublemaker." He tells me as he picks up his phone. I look to see him talking to Cassie and another lady.

"Kyla this is Jenny Hoyt. My partner." Cassie introduces. I shake her hand as she smiles softly at me.

"Hey, Cormac." I greet with a smile, but stop as I realize something.

"It's your fault isn't it?" I cross my arms. I see Cassie sigh and Cormac looks sheepish.

"Kyla, the conditions you were living under was a concern of-"

"It's okay, I know. For my own good type of deal, right?" They nod and Cormac brings me for a hug.

"I'm glad your not on your own anymore." He says. We pull apart.

"Looks like you gotta get your supplies elsewhere." I sigh. He puts his hand on his heart and steps back, feigning heartbreak.

"So the missing backpacker. Any updates?" I ask. The crew deadpans at me and Beau smacks the back of my head with a piece of paper.

"I said no."

"You wanna be a cop or something?" Jenny asks me. I shrug.

"I'm good at figuring things out." I wink.

" Ooh, you might be useful then." She jokes.

"No. Anyway were headed to get her belongings. You ready?" Beau says to the group and turns to me. I nod

"Need help?" Cassie asks. As we start to leave.
"Nah, it's just clothes really, thank you." I say as we head out.

"Meet you guys later...

Now, don't make fun, okay."

"Oh, what is this hunk O' junk?"

"Alright now." We get into his red piece of metal and he starts to drive to my house.

"So, what are we meeting them for later?" I ask.

"Cassie just bought a ranch." He shrugs.

"Oh wow."

"Yeah, been a long time comin for her honestly. Just gonna celebrate. Wanna come?" He asks.

"Love to. Don't have anything else to do." I shrug. He looks over to me and sighs.
"So, can I make a bet with you?" I asks him. His eyes widen as he glances at me again.

"Speaking my language. What's the bet?"

"Something doesn't sit right with me about this whole backpacker thing. I feel like there's a lot more to it than, "not wanting to jump to conclusions."
Now I hate to say it but I think we're going to learn the hard way that this is a lot more than we bargained for."

"Is that the bet?" We pull up to my house.

"Yep. $100 and the first sign that it's more than an accident or it's a lot messier than it seems, I win."

"And I think the backpacker either got into an accident, or is already on his way through Montana." He puts his hand out and we shake.

"So, you really are into this investigative stuff, huh?" He asks me. I get out some of my moms old suitcases and Beau follows me to my room.

" I mean, yeah. I'm actually pretty good at it. Considering I'm a 16 year old high school student. My hunches are never wrong." I say and he chuckles.

"Did you just rope me into giving you a hundred dollars?" He crosses his arms, impressed.

"Yea."

"I think you and I are gonna get along a bit too well." He laughs.