Suspicions

"This is Tiger, I copy

"This is Tiger, I copy." I walk with Cormac back towards the group, who are sitting for lunch. He laughs at me before walking to see his parents.

"Tiger and Lion. You two are too much." He teases.

"How's that camp? Have a campfire yet?"
(How the camp? Have you seen/ met Emily?)

"It's gotta be dark before you can have a fire, but I'm sure we will tonight."
(Not yet but I'm about to introduce myself.)

"Have fun, sweetie."
(Have fun, sweetie.)

"Tiger out."

"Wow you were serious." Emily laughs loudly as she and Avery sit next to me.

"Yeah he's crazy. I'm Kyla." I shake her hand.

"I'm Avery. This is Emily." The guy says. I smile at them. Emily and I talk all throughout lunch and I decide I like her a lot.

"Yeah. I still can't find my knife." She sighs as she tells me about finding Luke. I look around the camp and lean in to both of them.

"You think he did something to her? It seems kind of fishy for her to just vanish." I ask them.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." Emily says.

"And I'm doing my best to not discourage her." Avery sighs.

"I mean if he really did see a light, whoever it was might have Paige and did that to his head. There's totally people that live in the woods." I say.

"Yeah but Luke's been fishy from the beginning. Him and Paige. I've been documenting a lot of things. I'll show you later tonight." She whispers. I nod.

"Let's hope no one else goes missing." I sigh. They both nod in agreement.
_____________|||_____________
That Night...

"Well if this becomes a case, you can turn this into evidence. Nicely done." I tell her as she shows me what she's been recording.

"Send those to me. For insurance." I wink.

"I'll go by the campfire and do it."

"Kyla?" I hear Cormac call to me. I say goodnight to Emily and walk out of her tent.

"Yeah. I'm here." I wave him over from across the camp.

"Just making sure. Wanna go for a night hike with me and Cassie?" He asks me. He's been gone all day, and I'd like to know what that's about.

"Yep!" I exclaim.

"Tiger to Lion."

"This is Lion."

"Camp fire is out and I'm going hiking with Cassie and Cormac, official missing backpacker business." I tease him as we walk to Cassie.

"Negative Tiger." He tells me. Cassie laughs and takes the walkie talkie from me.

"We're just checking it out, Beau. We'll be back by eleven." She assures him.

"Lion to Tiger, stay with Cowboy, over." I take the radio back.

"Copy. Tiger out."

"Which one of us is cowboy?"
______________|||_____________
"I feel like I'm intruding." I mumble as they walk ahead of me, flirting. Suddenly, they panic.

"Look." Cassie says as they approach an object in the near distance. Cormac looks at me.

"Kyla look away." But I already spot it.
The body. Holy shit. Ew. Cormac tries to turn me away.

"Does his position seem weird to you two?" I ask them.

"Was he dumped there?"

"Kyla, stop looking." Cormac says angrily. I do as he says and instead I look at Cassie. I gag a little as I realize the smell.

"We need to get you out of here." Cassie says to me, picking up her phone.

"Kyla." Beau approaches us and the body with his unit.

"Get her the hell away from this." Cassie says, and Beau takes me by my shoulders.

"Hey Beau." I say sheepishly. He looks down at me sternly, before sighing.

"I'm sorry you had to see that, Kyla." He apologizes.

"I'm okay, all things considered." I sigh.

"That's definitely not on my sightseeing list. I thought we were just looking round for clues."

"You shouldn't have seen that." He closes his eyes in frustration.

"I'll just get back to camp before they realize I'm gone a long time. It's actually been really fun so far." He looks at me for a while before sighing to himself.

"Okay, but forget about spying on my daughter, okay? It was a stupid idea anyway, okay? If you really want to stay at camp, you just have fun, get your mind far far away from what you saw tonight okay?" I nod.

"I'll get you back there and you just try to get some sleep okay?" He tells me.

"Can we still use the walkie talkies?" I ask.

"You bet your ass we will." He assures me. I smile.

"I'll be fine, really. I know it's a bit early to be seeing dead bodies, but if I wanna solve some murders when I grow up I'll have to get used to it." I tell him. He shakes his head.

"Way too early, Kyla." I nod in agreement, and he pulls me into a hug as we walk to his truck.